Sitting Trot....

I found if you think of the horses legs being your legs helps, as trot is a two time diagonal gait and if you can imagine trotting you self it helps. Relax yes but make sure you keep you upper body posture correct at the same time. Don't slump.

I love sitting trot (I am lazy and rising trot uses up more of my energy.)

You're thinking too much about yourself and what you're doing.
Get on your horse, look where you want to go, don't look at your horse and don't think about your body. Pick up your energy and go. Have fun fun fun!!! Don't think. Feel!!!
When you get there decide where to next, look that way and go.
You're great. You're riding a horse.
JK

natural seat

dddddd

Hi all,
I just found this site and I think it is great. My address is to the person that explained what a natural seat is. I too have been told countless times what a natural seat I have. Only thing is I knew I had it but didn't know what "it" was. I am 40 years old and have been riding since I was 18. Just yesterday I was telling someone at my job, that when I first rode I was told what a natural seat I had. I also told her that I didn't know what made me have one. Now I will be able to tell her and others what it is and what to do to emulate it. The pillates are a wonderful way to achieve it. Also to the person in London. Belly dancing moves are great to achieve the upward swing that you need to separate your pelvis from your neck and shoulders. Books are available and because they aren't as popular as Pilate stuff, much cheaper. :) You can also check your local library

Last edited:
i am so glad that someone posted this because ive been having trouble with it too! i always thought there would be a natural progression of things like you would learn to sit to the trot before you would learn to sit to the canter correctly,...unfortunately i can sit to the canter and jump and yet i still can not figure out the trot!!!

the running in place exercise that heather gave is something i never thought of before... i cant wait to ride again to try it out!!!!

Well i thaink that what you need to do is find a riding school that really suita you. The one that i ride at is in silver spring maryland.I have been riding there for a year and three months.Now i am a C2 in my riding class. :D

:eek: A post I made over 2 years ago has reappeared, Wow!
In case anyone wondered since then I have found a new school, with lovely horses and a great instructor who seems to run along the EE track even though shes not directly associated with it.
In answer to my own problem in case anyone else reads this thread looking for an answer, making sure you have a very good position also greatly helps, although I've only been able to acheive this with a better instructor who points out lots of position faults.

sitting trot

I was taught to sit on a yoga ball and grip with my knees and release, grip and release, grip and realse.you can try to put down your heels as much as possible, grip with knees and your whole leg, and " sit on your pockets" wich means keep your rear deep in the seat and sit up stait. I really hope it helps. sorry if it dosent. :p :) oh yeah keep your heels down! (it helps)

Last edited:
Sitting Trot Helps

When I did my first sitting trot it was with a dressage saddle, and that meant it was a bit easier. When I went back onto normal saddles I found that lengthening my stirrups by two holes made it easier for me to sit to the trot, and from then on my stirrups moved onto eight instead of the really short ten.

Another way to practice sitting trot off horse, is to jog up a steep hill while still standing on your toes. Its slow work, and you might get puffed once you get to the top, but it really helps, and next time your on a horse think of jogging slowly on your toes up a hill. You'll find it works.

P.S I fell off with the dressage saddle, I was practising to ride without stirrups, which also helps with the sitting trot, except the horse I rode had very short choppy steps!

Dear Belgianwaffle

belgianwaffle said:
i am so glad that someone posted this because ive been having trouble with it too! i always thought there would be a natural progression of things like you would learn to sit to the trot before you would learn to sit to the canter correctly,...unfortunately i can sit to the canter and jump and yet i still can not figure out the trot!!!

the running in place exercise that heather gave is something i never thought of before... i cant wait to ride again to try it out!!!!

Try what I said at the bottom of the threads!

newrider.com