Sitting Tall and Lower Leg Position

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
I went showing yesterday, and kept tipping forwards, dropping my hands and letting my legs go back, whilst when I sit tall with my hands right and my leg in the right place, Daffy goes beautifully and really carries himself well. I know I do it (as seen on video), but when I'm riding often I end up concentrating on something else and don't always notice.

It's not practical to have someone on the ground shouting at me all the time, but I do have fairly regular lessons, my instructor is just busy at the moment. When I remember to raise my hands I feel myself sitting right, I just need a bit of help remembering sometimes. :p

I have a problem like that when trying to get a hard pony to canter. I drop my hands and lean forwards. Sometimes i notice and sit up but other times i need reminding lol

Here's something that might help. When you are riding, keep thinking over and over to yourself 'I'm a tree, I'm a tree, I'm a tree' so the goal is to sit really straight with your shoulders back and heels way down, this way you have a really good seat. I suggest that the next few times you ride, focuse mainly on having a perfect position. I hope this helps. :)

my cardinal sin as well - when you sort it out, let me know how! something that has been helping me is to think of keeping the shoulderblades flat to the back, that helps to keep the shoulders back and down.

Think consciously about pushing the small of your back into the back of your jodhpurs - it's only a tiny movement (unless you are REALLY tipping forwards) but it brings your pelvis into a neutral, upright position - everything else should slot into place from that.

Remember to keep those seat bones right underneath you too.

It makes you sit deeper in the saddle too which makes your position more secure.

I slide into bad habits all the time, and it is so noticeable whn I remember to sit right...suddenly my horse perks up....."thank god Mum has got it right, now I can move :rolleyes: :eek: "

newrider.com