Single horse trailers? worth it?

kt_luvs_smartie

horsemad
Feb 23, 2006
NOTTS
we're looking at buying a trailer and my mum wants a single horse trailer because we're only getting one horse and itl be lighter to haul. But im concerned about the safety aspects of it tipping over and whether its worth getting a double in case of getting another horse perhaps in the future or whether we could just sell the single one and buy a double when we need one. what are your thoughts??:confused:

I personally don't like single trailers but the 1 1/2 width ones (for one horse).
They're wider so more inviting for the horse to load and being wider, will probably be more stable (comparatively speaking) than a single.

A double is the luxury but it depends on your budget, and especially WHAT YOUR TOWING VEHICLE IS.
If you intend to tow with a big family car of equivalent, forget the double (the subject has been dealt with in many a post here).
Also bear in mind that a single (or 1 1/2 width) fits nicely behind a vehicle so you have a clear view in your side mirrors. A double is usually wider than the towing vehicle so just a little more stressful when you're crossing another vehicle on a narrow country road ;)

hi i have a ifor williams mare and foal trailer it is only about 6inches thinner than a double i have a 16hh cobxhackney he loves it. it is very stable as it is a double axel i have a 4x4 but my hubbys mondeo estate can tow if needed.

newrider.com