Silver proves a point.... again.

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
So we finally got a positive test for cushings back in July - score of 100.

We started on the prascend... and madam being madam, reacted badly to the medication. Within 12hours her skin started to flare up, she rubbed herself until she bled, she was significantly more than footsore - she wouldnt leave her stable etc. Took her off the medication and had a bowen session - within a few hours she was bright, and significantly less itchy and happy to go for a walk by the next morning.

Agreed with vet that we would blood test in three months to determine how much faster she is getting worse and then decide our approach from there. Several options:

1) try her on pergolide in much smaller doses and build her up
2) leave her unmedicated as a shorter but better quality of life is more humane imho
3) pts

Well blood test was taken last week - she is now down to 68. She is fully hairy, no itching, no footyness, full of the joys of spring (too much so!! tried to canter up some steps two weeks ago with me!!)... vet couldnt believe her when he saw her, I give up trying to understand her!!!!! The only thing I can conclude is that she is determined to do the opposite of whatever the book/vet says - so much for cushings being worse in autumn!

Love her, but seriously after four years, she needs to give this game up - we all get she is special!!!!! (Im chuffed its gone down, but totally bemused as to why!)

So we finally got a positive test for cushings back in July - score of 100.

We started on the prascend... and madam being madam, reacted badly to the medication. Within 12hours her skin started to flare up, she rubbed herself until she bled, she was significantly more than footsore - she wouldnt leave her stable etc. Took her off the medication and had a bowen session - within a few hours she was bright, and significantly less itchy and happy to go for a walk by the next morning.

Agreed with vet that we would blood test in three months to determine how much faster she is getting worse and then decide our approach from there. Several options:

1) try her on pergolide in much smaller doses and build her up
2) leave her unmedicated as a shorter but better quality of life is more humane imho
3) pts

Well blood test was taken last week - she is now down to 68. She is fully hairy, no itching, no footyness, full of the joys of spring (too much so!! tried to canter up some steps two weeks ago with me!!)... vet couldnt believe her when he saw her, I give up trying to understand her!!!!! The only thing I can conclude is that she is determined to do the opposite of whatever the book/vet says - so much for cushings being worse in autumn!

Love her, but seriously after four years, she needs to give this game up - we all get she is special!!!!! (Im chuffed its gone down, but totally bemused as to why!)

Ellie's has just come back positive despite one 6 months ago saying negative. I think the problem is that the tests are not particuarly accurate.

Ellie is starting on half a tablet what was Silver on? and we have to re test in 3 months to see if dosage needs altering

Silver originally started on one tablet, but after seeing the reaction straight away - I cut it to half a tablet and that was for 7-10days before I couldnt face giving her any more knowing it was making her sick - she was so poorly I thought it was game over (again...). Her autoimmune condition just seems to react to anything "conventional"! It did make her bed significantly drier though!!!!!

Bless her, what a legend! She just bounces back doesn't she, I can't say I've ever known or heard of a pony like her! :wub:

No one has, even the vet. starting to become hilarious as she just crashes out, I get to the point of making "that call" and she comes back to life. Such a fighter, but so awkward with it!

Well it is sort of good news isnt it? Not so good the Cushings was positive but her miraculous recovery is really bewildering but nevertheless welcome, I am sure!:smile:

What a little madam though......have you tried spelling out the possible 'you know what' sentence of impending doom instead!:redcarded:

Well it is sort of good news isnt it? Not so good the Cushings was positive but her miraculous recovery is really bewildering but nevertheless welcome, I am sure!:smile:

What a little madam though......have you tried spelling out the possible 'you know what' sentence of impending doom instead!:redcarded:

Yes great news! To be fair the cushings wasnt a surprise - despite previous negtive tests - I suspect she has had it the whole time ive had her. Im just utterly bemused that the result has gone down without medication at supposedly the worst time of year for cushiness ponies!

the mind boggles - only Silver .... seriously :wink:

Angel will be having a secon Cushings test as well - 'mistery stiffness of the front' is still ongoing, farrier/vet ruled out lami, chiro has been, vet not sure .... this has been going on for months!

Tell me about it! Hope you get to bottom of it notpoodle!

Her first test was 100 (normal is below 29 for time of year) and second test was 68.5 (with normal below 49 in autumn due to natural seasonal rise) so not just a little improvement... Madness! I'm wondering if its related to chronic stress from skin flareing up causing ACTH rise and now skin is better the stress has reduced on her body?

my vet didny even tell me where on the scale angel was :( all i got was that it was 'negative'. hmm. they're doing free lab fees until november (is this what you got as well?) so i'll go for a re-test.

my vet didny even tell me where on the scale angel was :( all i got was that it was 'negative'. hmm. they're doing free lab fees until november (is this what you got as well?) so i'll go for a re-test.

Be careful - its only your first test free I think? I woud probably have an ask as there are two types of testing - one which is "seasonally adjusted" and one which isnt - i.e. if you scored 30 when tested nov-july then you are positive by the seasonally adjusted one, but negative to the non adjusted one. Equally score 40 aug-oct then you are positive by the non adjusted, and negtive by the adjusted. horses have a natural rise of acth in autumn so the adjusted one is supposed to be the better guage.

I'd be interested to know what is keeping the cushings at bay... what is different about her daily routine, feed, grazing, weather? Do you keep a diary?

Nothing has changed since her last test - other than her skin getting better. I need to wait to speak to the vet properly - but having looked online You shouldn't test if they are poorly as it raises ACTH - I wonder if her body under chronic stress from battling skin stuff mimics cushings?

Her test this time should be higher - she was more agitated about having blood taken and needed semi twitching, and it was earlier in the day - both should increase ACTH production.

Depending on what the vet says I am quite tempted to get her tested when she is much better (if she has a really good winter - be the first in a few years if she does) and if she gets really poorly again to see if there is a link.

argh so the 2nd one may not be free :( i dont know what type of test they did. all she said is that she'd test for cushings and that the result was 'negative' ...

how does it work with these ACTH levels? would agnus castus (on which pony has been for years and seemed to respond well to) sway the result??

No, thats the main criticism of it - whilst it seems to help symptoms, it doesnt lower acth resutls.

How did you find AC? what effect did it have? Im wondering if its worth a try with madam as prascend is a no go

Nowt to add - just glad she seems okay! She really does seem to keep coming back !!! What a hardy girl she is - lots of positive vibes to you and her anyway. You both seem to go through such a lot.

i put angel on the AC a few years ago when she dropped weight rapidly for no good reason (vet, teeth etc all done), her coat was dull and she lacked 'sparkle', as well as being lami prone. the AC really made a difference, she looked overall much better after a few months on it, was able to put some weight back on ... a noticable difference. i'll check with my vets about the free (re)test.

newrider.com