Oct 31, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Hi all,

Just a quick question about turning:

When turning a horse, to the left for example, do you
a) gently pull the left rein back towards your stomach,
b) take the left rein out to the side of the horse
or c) flex your left wrist slightly to apply more pressure to the rein.

Hopw that made sense, it was pretty tricky to explain :p

Any replies will be appreciated

Thanks

:D

Depends if the horse is well school/senstive/listening.

With Pink (sensitve and well schooled) I use my reins as the last ditch attempt. (to turn across the school) noramlly I shift my weight a little to the inside, bring my outside hip forwards a little and look in the direction I want to go, whilst putting my outside leg on. If she doesn't respond them I bring my inside rein out very slightly and squeeze it, whilst keeping a contact on the outside rein. If she's being a pain and not listening I then gentley pull harder and harder until she responds.

I theory I do the same with hooves-on-his-ear-not listening grot-bag Brodie but usually end up at the pulling stage:rolleyes:

Depends who I'm on.

Ideally, though, I turn in the direction I want to go, thus turning the horse with my body (i.e., hips and shoulders), use my inside leg to ask for bend in that direction, hold with my outside leg and (in time with my inside leg and w/ the horse's stride in whatever gait we're in) sponge down my inside rein so it would go like this:

In walk - leg and hand in unison:
Turn (sponge and nudge) 2, 3, 4, turn, 2, 3, 4

In trot
Turn (sponge and nudge) 2, turn, 2, turn, 2

In canter
Turn, 2, 3, turn, 2, 3

I don't open the rein b/c it allows the horse to fall onto that inside shoulder. I might lift it to block that happening but I wouldn't open it.

Hope that makes sense.

T

Oooh you're going to get some deep and meaningful answers here.
I have recently been brushing up on the 5 Rein Effects in classical riding. Do I understand them? Well no, not entirely. I just keep reading and reading and reading in the hope that it will stay in my head better each time!
Im not getting involved on this one as what I would like to do and what I DO do are two very different things :p

xxx

I used to neck rein my pony on hacks (made it easier for gates etc) and now have a right hand that wonders into the middle of the neck...

Anyway, I agree with everyone else, it's not just reins, my instructor has taught me how to halt without using the reins, they more as a reminder to the horse to think harder about what you've just suggested to him!:D

newrider.com