silly question about loaning

silverstar

Jan 26, 2012
hey guys,

right bit of background...I started riding about 2 years ago and then looked after my friends horses for the weekend (had a few lessons on them) and since then have never gone back to riding school horses :) I just loved the fact they are more of a challenge, and that you can get to know a horse and really make a fuss over them. Anyhow, I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted to loan a horse, but because I work a lot of hours I decided to part loan a horse who is on full livery. I pay 30 a month for 2 days (sometimes 3), and I just do basic things like groom, pick out feet, tack up and ride. My reason for this was that I was unsure how much free time I would have and knowing how much my friend had been let down by loaners in the past (she has a really good one now), I didn't want to do the same. Anyhow, I have now got to the stage where I realise I do have the time to part loan 2-3 days a week but with a horse on DIY. I have found that I do have the time, and can put in the commitment that is required. I have been honest with people, told them that I have only been learning for 2 years and i'm not the best rider ever, but I'm willing to learn and improve. I've had a few responses. Now the qu I want to ask on here is regarding time- when i look after my friends horses, i muck them out in a morning, feed etc then just a quick tidy round in the afternoon. she likes it that way. Now if i loan a horse, one of those days will be on a work day, would it be okay to muck out in the evening and just feed in the morning, or will the owner expect me to muck out in the morning? i know this is a silly qu, it's not that i can't be bothered getting up out of bed early either- as I start work early :)

Hiya good luck in your loan search how exciting for you.in regards to your question about mucking out in the evening this would be something you would have to discuss with the owner as it will vary from person to person,I have my girl out at night and in during the day so mucking out is at night,things that would be considered are if the horses have to be in by a certain time at night,yard times so to speak so if its earlier than your finished the stable would not be ready,our yard has no time limits if you want to bring in at 9pm you can.if you need to muck out in an evening just state that when you speak to potential owners of a horse tour interested in at the beginning then everything will be sorted from day one.hope that is some help and good luck :D

apparently the horse is in 24/7 as the turnout isn't available at the minute due to the fields being flooded

Ah well you would need to speak with the owner,if I have ever had a horse in 24/7 I muck out morning and evening otherwise that would be one messy stable come the evening but the best thing you can do is discuss with the owner,maybe you could just do at least a skip out of poos untie morning and a full muck out at night?

When a horse is in 24/7 I muck out morning and night due to the fact of how much poo is produced in between.

With regards to mucking out morning or night generally - would need to ask the owner, but ultimately I can't see either being a problem depending on time and as long as the horse isn't waiting in the field for hours for you, they could always come in and eat a Haynet whilst you muck out etc....

If I loaned my horses out and they lived in 24/7 I would insist that that were mucked out morning and night and at the leasat skipped out on a morning and fully mucked out at night \ns given ad lib hay plus a feed morn and night and fresh water.

Fortunately my two live out 24/7 and I leave it to my loanee as to if she wants to bring them in or not. As long as my horses are happy and not hungry, nice and warm and safe that is all that matters to me

There is no set answer to this, it all depends on the horse and the owner. My horse lives out all night and comes in for 6 hours during the day. Therefore, if you were loaning from me, there would be no need for morning duties.

Just be honest and open to any perspective loaners. In my experience, there are several people who would like a good sharer, but they seem to be very hard to find. As long as you are reliable and honest, I'm sure that you will find a horse and situation which suits you.

hi, yeh I know people who have wanted loaners- I have been honest about my riding and even said I want her to watch me to make sure i'm good enough and that she's happy I can competently ride her horse!!

Also, she messaged me back saying that the yard owners do the haynets and feed in a morning so I only need to go in an evening and muck out. it's 15 a week for two days. It's that compared to 50 a week for 5 days a week for a horse on full livery.

I loaned and could only be there in evenings mon-fri and mucked out then and yard fed for me and my owner didnt mind.

newrider.com