-Sigh- Another problem

Zantetsuken

& Koch
Nov 23, 2003
Georgia, USA
Visit site
I have a problem with Orion moving, He'll turn around in circles alot (when I ask him too, Not literally..With the bridle ya know) But he has a prolem actually moving. I "pop" my arm with the ends of the reins(I don't wanna hit him Lol He didn't do anything wrong) and he moves that way, But I can only do that so much, and It's hard to whip my arm constantly to make that sound and control him as well..Any solutions?! Thanks -James

Is he going on well on the lunge?? I was reading your last thread too and it sounds as if your horse isn't broken at all in which case it will take a few weeks ground work. If he understands the voice aids from the lunge then he shold start to work off that while you or on his back. Or you can always get someone to lunge him while you ride. That way he'll get used to the aids you use and understand them better as the person in the middle tels him what to do at the same time. My last horse had the same problem when I first backed him, It took a few months and loads of paitence but it came right in the end.

When I started training Dolly to be ridden, I taught her voice commands and used positive reinforcement. I didn't want to lunge her in case she became dependant on the person lungeing. She's turning out great, and will stand, walk, and trot on voice commands alone (although I haven't ridden her in a while).

hehe thanks! :D I'm very proud of her :D

I haven't read any of your previous threads, so don't know Orions story, but if he doesn't seem to understand everything, I would go back to basics, just to determine what he does know, and to teach him anything that he doesn't know :)

newrider.com