Side saddle show report with pics :)

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
Today was our areas spring show, so we thought we would go along and give it a go! I'm exhausted after a long day so this won't be the longest report ever but here is a brief summary! Our first class was novice equitation, where he went a bit bouncy and sideways in his individual show but I managed to ride him through it and straighten up enough to pull off a 4th place!! We decided to put him straight back in the ring for the intermediate equitation, as we are just trying to get ring time on him. His individual was better this time, but it was a huge class and of a high standard so we were as expected unplaced. BUT we did get our first 2 qualifier points for national champs (and got a 'special' rosette lol) so I can't complain about that at all!!
Our last class of the day was the jump and style. The group consensus was to build the jumps rather small which unfortunately was not in my favour as little jumps are not respected by the grey beastie!! We tipped the first pole off but jumped the rest fine. Lucky enough as it is also a style class we dragged ourselves up enough to get a 5th. I really need bigger jumps for him to pick up his feet but he had a lovely smooth round except for the first pole so there was a lot to like. All in all I had a lovely day and bringing home a few frillies is always nice!! My dad took a load of pics so here are a few of my gorgeous boy for you!

Last edited:
Lovely boy, such clever ears and a beautiful uphill canter. Very well done for your frillies and points.

It was all sidesaddle right? What does the equitation class involve?

I love this horse!:inlove: He always looks so sensible, handsome and well behaved, but I am absolutely certain it is your very competent riding that gives the illusion that he would work as well for anyone else!:happy:

Very well done to both of you. x

Thank you, he is a good boy most of the time but can be a bit hotheaded on occasion. He takes a while to settle down in the ring so just trying to get him out and about a lot now. I will definitely give you 'handsome' out of that list Cortrasna but the rest is debatable!! :yellowcarded:

Jane I was trying to work out how to give a brief explaination of equitation classes but then I found this link which explains it all completely, better than I ever could!! http://www.sidesaddleassociationarea14.co.uk/downloads/Equitation_Tips.pdf

I have this years Nationals schedule now, all looks very exciting!!

Thank you, he is a good boy most of the time but can be a bit hotheaded on occasion. He takes a while to settle down in the ring so just trying to get him out and about a lot now. I will definitely give you 'handsome' out of that list Cortrasna but the rest is debatable!! :yellowcarded:

Jane I was trying to work out how to give a brief explaination of equitation classes but then I found this link which explains it all completely, better than I ever could!! http://www.sidesaddleassociationarea14.co.uk/downloads/Equitation_Tips.pdf

I have this years Nationals schedule now, all looks very exciting!!

Most informative, thank you.

What sort of individual show did you and the handsome grey boy offer?

As always a pleasure to read about your beautiful grey man and even better when there are pictures. How classy you both look and well done on the ribbons

Think you have done really, really well. Not that long since you started side saddle.

And your horses seem to always be honestly described. Should anything happen to the always quirky, but sometimes impeccably behaved Tobes, I would most certainly wait for something you had and felt suitable to come along.

We walked out from the judge, trotted a figure of 8, then cantered a figure of 8 (trotted a couple of strides to change), then trotted and came to a halt in front of the judge for inspection. Our left rein is a lot better than our right (the supposedly easy rein!!) so our bend wasn't great to the right but he's still learning and we will get there eventually!
I need to learn to look UP!! I've been riding sidesaddle for about a year now but my saddle has been away for repair recently so think this was the third time we were sidesaddle since January! Need more practice now :)

newrider.com