Side saddle riding holidays

Mrs Talmann

Mrs Talmann
Sep 24, 2005
Hi,
Does anyone know of a riding holiday centre (preferably but not necessarily in the Southern half of England) which does sidesaddle lessons?
Cheers
Mrs Talmann

side saddle

Hi Mrs Talmann,
What sort of holiday did you have in mind? Would you be taking your own horse? Have you ridden side saddle before? I can suggest places to go for lessons either in southern England or elsewhere for a 'holiday' that can offer side saddle every day. Post or private message me and I'll try to help.
Rusty

0a490432.jpg

Mrs Talmann said:
Hi,
Does anyone know of a riding holiday centre (preferably but not necessarily in the Southern half of England) which does sidesaddle lessons?
Cheers
Mrs Talmann

There's one near Mansfield in Derbyshire. Can't remember the name but I'll try and remember to look it upin the SSA handbook. Glad you're thinking of trying the elegant art. Btw make sure your instructor is Side Saddle Association qualified, that way you'll be sure s/he really knows what s/he's talking about

Last edited:
sidesaddlelady1 said:
There's one near Mansfield in Derbyshire. Can't remember the name but I'll try and remember to look it upin the SSA handbook. Glad you're thinking of trying the elegant art. Btw make sure your instructor is Side Saddle Association qualified, that way you'll be sure s/he really knows what s/he's talking about

Please can you post it on here or pm me please as well? I've had a couple of SS lessons and LOVED it. My dream is to get Saff in a sidesaddle .... one day .... but I need to learn to do it properly before I even THINK about introducing her to it!

There's a good place off the M40 J16, I think it's called Pittern Hill. It's more of a riding school than a holiday centre though I think.

Pickles said:
There's a good place off the M40 J16, I think it's called Pittern Hill. It's more of a riding school than a holiday centre though I think.

Kineton Warwickshire. Never had lessons there but the Owner, Roger Philpott, is very well thought of in the SSA.

Bay Mare said:
Please can you post it on here or pm me please as well? I've had a couple of SS lessons and LOVED it. My dream is to get Saff in a sidesaddle .... one day .... but I need to learn to do it properly before I even THINK about introducing her to it!

Yes I will. Didn't get home from the farm until 10.45 last night so bed was the only thing on my mind but I'll look it up and post it on Monday. In the meantime try this

AREA 12 -
Secretary: Mrs. D. Welch, Pleasley Park Farmhouse, Wood Lane, Pleasley Vale, Mansfield, Notts., NG19 8RY. 01623 748494.

She's the secretary of Area 12 of the Side Saddle Association and she'll know. She teaches as well.

Last edited:
Mrs Talmann said:
Hi,
Cheers
Mrs Talmann

Mrs T - try this. Mrs. D. Welch, Pleasley Park Farmhouse, Wood Lane, Pleasley Vale, Mansfield, Notts., NG19 8RY. 01623 748494.

She's the secretary of Area 12 of the Side Saddle Association and she'll know the place I mean.

sidesaddlelady1 said:
Kineton Warwickshire. Never had lessons there but the Owner, Roger Philpott, is very well thought of in the SSA.

I had me side saddle lessons there and can highly reccommend it. I stayed in a B&B just outside the village of Kineton that was run by a lady who used to ride side saddle but retired when she had to have her horse PTS. Was a couple of years ago now but would really love to return there for a refresher course and to introduce my horse to it - I haven't been able to so far as I have been waiting for his back to develop (he's only 6).

Jamey said:
I had me side saddle lessons there and can highly reccommend it. I stayed in a B&B just outside the village of Kineton that was run by a lady who used to ride side saddle but retired when she had to have her horse PTS. Was a couple of years ago now but would really love to return there for a refresher course and to introduce my horse to it - I haven't been able to so far as I have been waiting for his back to develop (he's only 6).

6 is recommended as a good age to start SS, although the SSA shows admit 4 yr olds to ss clases.

He came to us in quite poor condition with a lot of muscle wastage over his withers and back so we've been building him up to it slowly. Hopefully, we'll start to teach him over the winter and he should be good to go for the summer.

newrider.com