Side pull with snaffle bit?

Em 1

Aug 18, 2001
sidepull.jpg
Can anyone help me identify this tack set up? It's not a combination I've seen before and after a bit of research I wondered if it was a side pull with a slip head over the top with a loose ring snaffle. Can anyone more knowledgable than me have a look and see if I'm right please? Also why would you use that combination whatever it is :rolleyes:? Would it be for a strong horse maybe?

It looks like a Micklem bridle? If it's a Micklem bridle, you can vary the settings depending on how strong the horse is.

Fantastic, thank you both:). I don't think I've ever seen a Micklem in the flesh although it does ring a faint bell. It certainly makes more sense than my convoluted idea:rolleyes:

Yup micklem, side pulls with bits are out there but the noseband normally connects to the bit rings and is used as a transitional bit.

That's interesting Jessey, thank you. I know virtually nothing about bitless bridles but couldn't see why you'd go bitless and then put a bit in if you see what I mean! As a transitional tool it makes sense:)

Some riders use a hackamore with a bit combination. IMO depends on the horse and the activity. But yes, as others ahve pointed out that is just a micklem bridle. You can get the multi-bridle which can be used with a bit as in your photo or in a couple of different bitless options.

I know virtually nothing about bitless bridles but couldn't see why you'd go bitless and then put a bit in if you see what I mean! As a transitional tool it makes sense:)
Why not? Its not a big deal. I ride with a bit, without a bit. Makes no odds to her or me, just my insurance on the highway.
Its like saying if you use a saddle why would ride bareback, because you want to, because you are waiting for a saddle fitter, just because. :)

Why not? Its not a big deal. I ride with a bit, without a bit. Makes no odds to her or me, just my insurance on the highway.
Its like saying if you use a saddle why would ride bareback, because you want to, because you are waiting for a saddle fitter, just because. :)
I took it to mean a bit and bitless at the same time as the original post suggests.

Ah right I get you, in that case no I don't follow that either. Not used together.
Unless you take the Myler combo into account, however that's a bit with leverage on the nose, not as I would view a bit less.

I haven't used a Micklem as I don't know why it needs a flash.

Ah right I get you, in that case no I don't follow that either. Not used together.
Unless you take the Myler combo into account, however that's a bit with leverage on the nose, not as I would view a bit less.

I haven't used a Micklem as I don't know why it needs a flash.
I can see it being useful for some horses in some situations but it's not something I think I'd do.

My understanding was that the micklem keeps the bit more stable in the mouth I imagine the noseband plays a part in that, I felt it was more like a drop noseband. I had one on Rubic at one point, I liked it.

the combo side pull/snaffle is often used when transitioning a young horse from a non leverage hackamore, into a snaffle before progressing into a curb in western. It allows what the horse has already learned in the halter/hack to continue to be used while it gets used to a bit and enables you to remain light on their mouth while they learn.

Jess was pro backed for me, she did most of her basics in a rope halter then switched into a combo bit just before she came home to ensure she was ready for me to ride in a regular snaffle.

Reactions: Rubic
I took it to mean a bit and bitless at the same time as the original post suggests.

Thanks Rubic, that's exactly what I meant. I can see why you'd swop between bitted and bitless but I couldn't see why you would using them at the same time (although Jessey has explained that for me). I assumed that if you needed something 'more' in some way when using a bit, you'd change the bit or the noseband. At first I did think the bridle in the picture was some sort of drop until I saw the cut away upward curving part which totally confused me!

the combo side pull/snaffle is often used when transitioning a young horse from a non leverage hackamore, into a snaffle before progressing into a curb in western. It allows what the horse has already learned in the halter/hack to continue to be used while it gets used to a bit and enables you to remain light on their mouth while they learn.

So does the side pull come into action before the bit when using the combo or is it just that having two ways of communicating the same thing means you can be lighter overall? (Sorry, I'm not expressing myself very well…I hope that makes sense…).

I really must try western one day. It's something I know very little about but would like to learn more!

It depends how you have it adjusted but generally its 2 ways of saying the same thing, they already understand one and by association learn what the other means without any resistance so maintains light pressure, I hope that make sense.

newrider.com