Sid full of holes... ear treatment - improvement!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
A nice vet that I haven't met before came to see Sid this afternoon.

I was so relieved that she was there that I was almost in tears as I explained the situation. His ears have got so much worse over the last couple of days, sore and swollen, looking as if they are on the road to being infected. I feel terrible that they have got to this state, but they have gone downhill really quickly.

She looked carefully at his crest and tail head and the backs of his legs to see where else he was sensitive. Her view was that it wasn't sweet itch or fly damage and was most likely mites.

She gave him a Dectomax injection and also a mild steroid jab to reduce the inflammation and soreness and break the cycle of rubbing and scratching. She's left me a tube of Isaderm, a combination antibiotic (fusidic acid) and steroid (betamethasone, like Betnovate), to apply when he lets me touch the ears. It's licensed for use on dogs, not horses, but they have had great results with it.

The last time the vet came Sid was very anxious and suspicious and he almost reared when he got his flu jab. This lassie (she looked about 16!) was much slower and kinder, and while I posted sweeties under his moustache she squeezed in the Dectomax - it must have taken more than a minute - and followed up with the steroid. he pulled back a little when the Dectomax went in, but the steroid was fine. In fact he was very very good, and stood with us afterwards while I gave him a back massage and she examined the base of his ears to see how much swelling there was. There was quite a lot, but he let her touch everywhere except the actually swollen parts. He was such a good boy, I can't believe how much he has changed since he came.

If this treatment works I should see a significant improvement by Tuesday. If not I have to get them back again - next step would be Deosect and then a swab (eek).

The steroid certainly took effect quickly, he was grazing happily when I left with no shaking head or scratchy back hoof.

Fingers crossed.

Everything crossed for you, and it sounds like it would be worth asking for this particular vet in the future since Sid clearly prefers her.

The vet who is a lassie may also come to our yard. But when I see our vet examining the horses, I remind myself that to read Vet medicine the girls needed higher A level grades than to become a doctor which my own daugther did.

Oh @Skib I am very respectful of vets, of any age and appearance. Their knowledge is so broad and spans a variety of species - extraordinary. No, when I think someone looks very young, it just makes me feel old!

Reactions: Skib
Oh @Skib I am very respectful of vets, of any age and appearance. Their knowledge is so broad and spans a variety of species - extraordinary. No, when I think someone looks very young, it just makes me feel old!
I would get this one back because she's been able to hopefully resolve the issues for you, whereas the other one didn't know what was wrong.

Having just been through similar with ale although his was body and not ears it took a while for him to improve but once he did it's been a quick regrowth of hair!

Well, this morning he looks much happier, The ears are still a bit crusty but the swelling has gone right down and he let me handle the whole of the pinna (the ear flap) on both sides, though not touch the base of the ear yet.

I asked him if he wanted his fly mask on and he said no, thank you, so I've left it off for today. I'm giving him the day off, too, as the ground is hard and I don't want to jar feet that may have been sensitised by the steroid injection.

Fingers crossed but I feel very relieved that the medication is taking effect!

newrider.com