Sid Boot Camp!

Oh, I think it's a complicated an difficult situation - mental health issues, co-dependency (as I see it) and all sorts of unpleasantness. I have actually blocked the number, the first time I've ever ever done that. I suspect that if I understood more I would be more sympathetic but I did my best, and life's too short.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
What size are you after @PePo , is it cob? They have more of them and I could get one for you if you like, but the company tell me they are expecting a delivery today if you can give them a call.

Sorry, I've only just seen this!

Thank you so much for the kind offer :) Having just spent a small fortune on two new muzzles & even bigger fortune on enough sheepskin to pad them out, I'm going to see if these work without rubbing him before I spend even more money on muzzles :D

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Oh man, this has all gone to pot. We have had a rash of positive test results among cafe staff, leading to some chaotic days and eventually having to close for 10 days. Madness - trying to find homes for all the food and milk, not wasting anything, trying to get some good out of all this shit.

As a result Sid has had hardly any work. His grazing muzzle is doing pretty well - he only seems to be able to remove it with assistance from the mare next door - but he's still huge. Last Sunday he was 500kg on the weigh tape, so at the thin end of his previous results, but we've barely started.

Maybe next week I'll get my mojo back.

Sorry to hear youve had to shut up shop for a bit. It must be a nightmare for you.
We all have those bad weeks where we cant do much with the horses. Hopefully the time off wont go to his head. I know with my lad it does and thats generally when he turns into numpty. So you want a nice ride to enjoy and relax you and instead a bad one just compounds all the crap that has been happening.
Im sure Sid will help destress you. Give him a few cuddles. He wont mind no work.

Sorry it’s been pants, it really drives home that it’s really not over yet although many are acting like it is. Hopefully everyone’s on the mend soon.
I’m sure you’ll get back in your groove soon enough and sid will be none the worse for it, although his work has reduced this week you’ve also added the muzzle so he’s likely still going in the right direction.

I am so sorry Jane. We didnt dare meet the grand children back from uni to walk with them today. We watched a Cambridge graduation on Zoom. I am riding tomorrow hoping it will keep me sane, but everyone is so low at the moment I cant think of anything to cheer you up except that we too are being cautious and sensible.
Stay safe.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear you're having to temporarily close your cafe Jane, hopefully you won't keep having this problem. I hope your staff are ok and only get a mild case, and that you stay clear of it. Are you having to self isolate, or are they staff you haven't been in contact with?

Oh that's rotten. If you're lucky, Sid may be one of those who doesn't react negatively to time off - I've been lucky - neither of mine seemed to notice.

I hope your staff are ok and only get a mild case
They are all fine, none of them have any symptoms.

Steve and I are double vaccinated and also work less closely with the staff than they do with each other (and we don't go to the pub with them). They have been very good about wearing their masks at work. We haven't been pinged and have tested clear so we're fine in my book.

We're both doing out best to enjoy the enforced time off!

We got out today for a lovely hour's hack before it got too hot. He was ever so good, even up through the competition yard. Just walk and trot but he was still a sweaty mess when we got home.

This morning he was 490 kg on the weigh tape.

How lovely. And right to go out early. We stupidly did our 6,000 steps o.a.p walk at mid day yesterday and I think I have slight sun stroke.

How lovely. And right to go out early. We stupidly did our 6,000 steps o.a.p walk at mid day yesterday and I think I have slight sun stroke.
Skib you should know better, but I hope you don’t have sunstroke and that you feel better soon.

We got out today for a lovely hour's hack before it got too hot. He was ever so good, even up through the competition yard. Just walk and trot but he was still a sweaty mess when we got home.

This morning he was 490 kg on the weigh tape.
I went yesterday and that was bad enough, we were both sweaty messes when we got back too, couldnt face it today. Well done on Sids weight loss too.

The muzzle is doing well but Sid defeated it last night. I found him this morning wearing the head collar as a necklace, and the muzzle lying in the field. He was huge and there was masses of poo.

I have to say that the muzzle itself was completely undamaged: I think he had managed to put a foot on it and snapped all the cable ties. Gosh, horses are strong, but so is silicone. I refitted it - the head collar seems to have stretched slightly. I tightened the noseband by one hole ( i had to make the hole in the leather strap, that was interesting) and shortened the side piece by one hole. I made the muzzle "legs" a bit shorter too.

When I had finished reattaching the muzzle it was very close to his nose and when I turned him out in it he was obviously very uncomfortable and frustrated (pawing, shaking his head) and after only 10 minutes his nose was pink. So I lengthened the side strap again to increase the distance between muzzle and muzzle, if you follow me. It was obviously more difficult to feed - it took him 30 seconds to get enough in his mouth to chew - but he was eating. So I left him to it.

It makes me feel awful.

Reactions: Jessey
It makes me feel awful.
I was horried to Ella that day I overcame her napping and made her hack on a very hot day. She was in the right. But with Sid you are right. Same as Maisie. They would kill themselves by eating. I hope the muzzle works.

Needs must! I do think they get used to it and get a bit extra frustrated when they’ve had some time without as they don’t understand why it’s suddenly back.

newrider.com