Sid blots his copy book - updated

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I got a message from my sharer at lunchtime today, when I was standing in the queue for the butcher, the way you have to.

She said she thought he didn't want to leave the filly, that "once in the shelter he was constantly fighting, ears back, didn't want me near him or grooming him." She ended up not riding as it felt too risky for her.

I was horrified but remembered that yesterday morning, when I caught him to go to meet Bella, he refused point blank to go in the shelter, and when I insisted he was an idiot, swinging himself out when I tied him up, rolling his eyes and dancing about (which is scary with such a chunky horse, even if he isn't tall). I told her that and said I was sorry I hadn't mentioned it and that I would go and see him when I got home to see what I could make of it.

I went and caught him, no trouble, and led him in his halter straight to the gate. No trouble. Another livery was taking her mare for a walk and we joined them, Sid was absolutely fine, no faces or bad behaviour at all. When we got back to the field he didn't hurry or call to the filly (who was grazing peacefully). I took him to the shelter: he stopped dead. "I'm not going in there." I had a treat in my pocket and lured him in, patted him, told him not to be a Muppet and led him out again. He was polite, but restive while we were in there.

I think something has scared him. I'll try feeding him in there tomorrow and Christmas Day and see if that makes things easier. And I will ask Steve to put a tying ring on the wall of the hay store so Theresa has somewhere else to tie him while she tacks him up.

it is odd. I remember Ziggy had weeks sometimes when he was frightened of the shelter. I wonder what happens?

Oh bless him, it does sound like something in there has worried him doesn’t it, although I also sometimes think there is just no rhyme or reason, hopefully he’ll feel better about it once his dinner has been in there a few days.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Yeah like @Kite_Rider says, there's no rhyme nor reason sometimes. Though I do remember Storm having a proper meltdown one winter about going into her stall that was within a huge barn on the yard we were on. Took me ages to work it out. Discovered it was the water feeder de-frosting that had scared her, not surprising really, the pops and swooshy noises would have made a human jump.
Another time she got weird about entering the byre by the side door, but that was something to do with having mis-judged the door frame and walking in with her head like a giraffe. Anyway whatever it is that's upset him, I hope he gets over it soon.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Well better it's something in the shelter that's unsettled him than him being funny about leaving the filly. If Steve can you do a tie up ring somewhere else that will solve the problem, though no doubt at that point he'll decide the shelter is the best place in the world :rolleyes: .

Reactions: Trewsers
The filly's owner just messaged me to let me know that when she went over this evening (at about 5pm, in the pitch dark) Sid was very protective of the filly, suspicious of her, and didn't want to let them get close to each other. But Bella knows her owner and trotted over for scratches, cuddles and treats, whereupon Sid realised he was missing out and went over too!

They’re funny sometimes, but I’m sure he believes he has a good reason for it.

In one of the bigger storms this autumn I found my 4 at the far end of the field, they flat refused to come up for dinner, Jess was herding everyone down there (even though she’s separated from Hank and Niko by a fence). I coaxed her up and she stayed 2 seconds before taking off and yelling at me. I stood wondering and heard my Jerry rigged gutter scraping on the tin roof, I took it off and she came straight up and settled to eat. I guess it sounded too much like the tin coming loose and she knows better than to be close when that happens!

Reactions: Huggy
Hogan's been twitchy about the barn, as I've mentioned in other threads. We think it's the new cat that's hanging round. Mind you, Hogan's copy book is just one huge blot really - not much else to see in his!

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
Before Theresa rode Sid again I fed him in the shelter for a few days, groomed him in there and tacked him up and rode him. He was fine.

She came yesterday for her ride and let me know that he was absolutely, fine, back to normal. So thank goodness, it seems that it was just a blip.

Phew!

newrider.com