Showing Welsh Cobs

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
We've just got a new welsh cob as part of the riding school (well, thats the breed I think he is). I'm hoping the YO will let me take him to some in-hand or even ridden shows if I lose enough weight by summer but I have NO idea what the heck happens in the showing.

So please all you showing experts - tell me what exactly what would go on in both the in-hand and ridden classes for welsh cobs.

I'd love to the YO to give me this oppertunity so if I can prove to her how dedicated to showing Sonney then I might get a chance - I just need to brush up on my knowledge!

Thanks guys :)

for the ridden you would all walk round as a group to start, then trot round together, then canter round together, then the judge would pull you up in a line and you all do an individual show. this shows the judge a bit more trot on each rein and canter etc, you could also show an extended canter away from the group at the end. im not too sure about in-hand though sorry!

mehitabels site is great :) check it out. i've done a fair bit of inhand showing with bonnie monster. but one thing to check, if he isn't registered with the WPCA then check show schedules very carefully, not all M&M classes will accept unregistered horses.

You are often told what you need to do especially in the in hand. You will walk round then are stopped, individually trotted around to the rear of others then all walk again. You would be pulled out into a line either by passing order or in any order and stood. One by one each person will pull out their horse to the judge and stand them square so the judge can look at conformation then asked to walk away then trot back straight at the judge so they can see how the horse moves and then return to your place.

When everyone has finished then usually the judge will ask for everyone to walk round again then pull out in placing order. Keep a good eye on the judge so you dont lose your place!!! People are often quick to jump in!!!!

Local shows usually accept unregistered M & Ms but check schedule!!

newrider.com