Showing Turnout Tips

Fran_C

Pony Nut
If you have any tips on the turnout of show and hunter ponies, that is grooming tips, I'm sure everyone would be interested in sharing them! My tip is- To use solid hoof oil (tub hoof oil) instead of liquid hoof oil, the shine is deeper and lasts longer and unlike liquid stuff, it doesn't dry out the hooves!

When you groom your horse, use a rubber curry comb all over him to lift up the dust and grease to the surface of his coat so it can be brushed off with a body brush. This is so much more effective than just brushing.

Using a slightly damp cloth and rubbing it hard in the direction of the hair. using whitening shampoo on white socks, markings and grey horses. also in the long run if your horses tail is always getting knotty only run your fingers though it every day to pull out knots and give it a carful brush once a week, because brushing a lot cause the hair to break leaving it tatty. leave in mane and tail contitioner makes a tail really shine and look great.

Make sure that your horse's stall is always spotless when you go to a show. This probably applies mostly to people with grey horses but if your horse ends up with a manure stain it can take forever to get out. Thisi s not relly a grooming tip but make sure to get the bit really clean otherwise your horse mif=ght start to chomp or lick it in the middle of your round and in hunters the judges will sometimes mark down for this.

If it's too cold to bath then a great way to lift the grease and add shine to your horse's coat is to use a cloth soaked in really hot (preferably steaming…but not too hot else you'll burn your horse, so be careful! If it's too hot for you, it's too hot for your horse!). Wring the cloth out, and wipe the horse all over with the hot cloth, let him dry off and then give him a good brush. The heat from the water helps to lift the grease.

Fiona.

im taking my horse to a show soon and she is always bothered by flies so i thought id take some 'carr&day&martin 'wipe and groom' fly reppelent wipes so i can just apply it easily through the day but i also like to use the same brand 'coat shine wipes' - will these products be ok to apply together? :D

They are fine togeather i use that make of wipes and repellant, if the wipe starts to lose some of it moister, often the top one does in this weather. Spray the reppellant on to the wipe, it means a bit more is left on the horse when wiping it on.

thanx, ive always ended up throwing away the top wipe! :rolleyes: for darker coloured horses i always use baby-oil around their muzzles and eyes to darken them etc. but what about white horses?

Hi Clip-Clop. I think there is a product from Cowboy Magic that highlights areas like the muzzle etc. I think that the stuff comes in different colours that is specifically designed for different colour horses. I'm not certain they do something for greys but I think they do. There are also shampoos and stuff that is supposed to bring out the different coloured coats. They're quite expensive, and I've never used any of the cowboy magic products before, so can't say if thet work, though!

Fiona

Hunters4Life, I think we do have hoof oil and hoof polish in England, its just that we call them both hoof oil! The Hof oil that is not sticky I don't use because it really over dries the hooves and with Pennys feet that is v. bad, the Hoof Oil that is from a solid block is better for the feet and although sticky it lasts longer. But we have different makes over here anyway so the products must vary.

newrider.com