Showing traditional gypsy stallion?

CJABB

Oct 17, 2006
Gwynedd
I have a 15h rising 5 heavyweight gypsy cob stallion. We want to start showing him this year in local shows. However, there are no traditional cob classes in our area (North Wales).

Would it be worth showing him in in-hand coloured classes? He has only been broken for a few months so is not ready for ridden classes.

Would a stallion stand a chance amongst mares and geldings?

Here are some pics of him. Would the more white then black markings go against him in coloured classes?

Excuse the absence of his feathers, the had been bog burned off before we got him. Thay are well on their way to growing back now!

Bob2.jpg

Bob.jpg

Picture010.jpg

in ridden i have found that stallions are descrimnated against! (well welshies anyway)
they will tend to win in hand because they are flashy
good luck- i arent much help withn coloureds because we dont show them sorry

Please excuse the facial expression in pic 3! It was the second time he had ever been ridden and I was concentrating very hard and hoping he would behave (which he did)!!

well its com[peletly down to the judges discretion, stallions are perfeclty welcome in inhand and undersaddle! you have an equal chance in both, it really does depend on the judge on the day but id give both a try!some judges like more black thsan white..some dont! so u never now!

Stallions are not discriminted against!

My stallion has won countless in hand and ridden classes - usualy on the same day, even when the classes follow each other.

It depends on the judge and whether hes well behaved or not.

If you are going to be showing your stallion in hand or ridden at county shos he MUST be graded ie with CHAPS.

As for local shows, he doesn't have to be.

s for classes at local level - you cold do cob classes (not M&M), Obvious coloured classes, you could posibley do classes like 14h2 & over, Family horse - maybe suited to mare or gelding.

Have a look a some show schedules!

Good luck with him - hes lovely!

Personally i like them with a bit more dark patches!

Chaps have plenty going on we do county with our coloured although she is mare:D i am not aware that they have to be graded to show ,they have to be to be graded if you intend to use him for breeding,

Nice cob - stallions def not descriminated against in fact many welsh judges will put them above mares and geldings every time ridden and in hand in my experience. However, do read the schedules carefully for local shows or even ask the show sec as some shows will not allow stallions or colts at local level. My only other observation is that he does not seem to have much feather (could be the pics though) and that may let him down at affiliated level in traditional classes.

Your horse looks lovely!

I dont think that he would be discriminated against in shows just because hes a stallion. If anything it might give him more flair :)

I would say that if your going to take him showing to fitten him up a little to make sure that his paces are properly shown off. :)

I definately would notice him in a coloured class. I think his marking are lovely!!

Nikki xxxx

Thank you for your comments!

His feather is growing back in abundance now. It was gone before we got him, he had been living in a bog and had mites.

We may try him in a few coloured classes then this year, in-hand. I will see how he gets on with his riding with regards to showing him ridden at the end of the year.

I will keep you informed of his progress.

i obvs show a coloured traditional cob!
we go in Cob, 14.2 and under, whp, open, riding school horse, pony judge wants to take home, neatest and cleanest, besr turned out, class depending on age of pony, etc. been placed in all of them. the shows ive been to as long as you keep your distance from the other horses and your stallion is under control they are not discriminated, and ha! ive Puzzle/Gelding has beaten stallions before :p deps on the judge. i show at local. but will be in regionals and hopefully nationals when i finish uni. I also want to get back into CHAPS when i finish uni. :)

newrider.com