Showing tips

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
Can anyone give me any showing tips? Heading off the the Barlow Show on Sunday.
Ive got about 1000 spare plaiting bands :p, planning on plaiting up before I leave, then putting on a tail cover for the box journey so he doesnt rub.
Once we get there Im going to oil his hooves just before his class and also use a touch of vaseline (unless you have a better idea) round his eyes and nose. Repair or neaten any plaits that need doing.
I think he's going to be too hairy still for quarter markers.
Would you reccomend the use of coat shine or do judges not like it?
He will be bathed the day before, bandaged and lightly rugged to stay clean.
Anything else I should be doing?
Also, do we want lots of plaits or not many? We were liking the look of a few small, openly spaced ones but I think his mane will need a LOT of thinning for that, which may not be practical.

Impart your showing knowledge people :p

xxx

EDITED TO ADD - any tips on how to make white bits really white? Except obviously just cleaning them!

Last edited:
white bits use chalk.

the tarditional number of plaits is any od number between 7 and 15 up the neck. I prefer small plaits. Plaiting is an art. if he has a long neck you need fewer chunkier plaits, short neck and more plaits make it look longer, plaits placed low down on the neck can make it look smaller then it is and cobra plaits (raised plaits) can make a weak neck look stronger
I practicaly bathe my horses in showshine! like this!!
stanlovely.jpg

I also find baby oil better then vasaline.
there was a thread a while ago about show tips perhaps do a search for it.

Showing

Hola,
Good luck for your show!! :D
If your taking plaiting bands i take it your not 100% with stitching the plaits, this is neater but stick to what you know!

I wouldnt oil the hooves as this will dry them out, but i use shoe polish, works just as well and stays on longer. teehee. i like baby oil to highlight areas, dont know why, just do, but i also put a little through the mane and tail to give a little shine(not too much its greasy).

Quarter marking are ok, just use a hard-ish brush and water to make the marks, and dont use coat shine, as if the jusge has to get on the saddle may slip round, or sometimes the judges are not the best riders so they may clamber on the horse and just slide off (if this happens, try to hide ** laughter :p ).

for plating, if he has a thin neck, do slightly bigger plaits on top of the neck, and if he has a larger neck do more little ones down off the top of the neck.

SHOWING SECRET:- Fow white bits, use either chalk or glow white(curtain cleaner teehee) it does work.

hope this helps!!!

leah and skye x

skye you dont put show shine on the saddle patch anyway so it wont affect your saddle. Also shoe polish is much worse for thier feet then hoofoil, if you are worried a water based rather then oil based one is better. That said stan has hoofoil on every weekend and ive never had a problem with it.

Quater marks look better when done by hand normaly a cut down nit comb is best as you can do fine little details

i only chalk legs. for white body bits, tresseme deep cleansing shampoo is a god send and so is canter coat whitener for those bits that get dirty over night

give me a few secs and i'll find a pic of the ones i do. However if he has a predominantly white bum or a hairy bum they can just look like ruffled hair so try them if they dont look right then brush them out and leave it.

cant find one of mine, but ive found one on horsequest.
If you can see it is 2 wide verticle stripes with 3 small squares inside each one and sharks teeth below
Burgess15hhARTrtApril.jpg

Baby oil might work well for you, but when i had a pony on loan, I did some showing, and his face got sunburnt through using baby oil, might have just been a bad reaction to it, but he was out of showing for ages until it had cleared up. I have however, seen it work well, so that might have just been one bad experience.

Oh yeah, treseme works wonders, great idea to use that.

Good look in your show!!!!!

okay, As for shine I use a product called Show sheen, but dont put it where the saddle goes or you might find your self on the ground:rolleyes: , As for plaiting I will post a pic of how I do it, for the whites wash them good the night before( if on legs wrap them) then when you get there use soft brush to get of sawdust ect, then put corn starch on them.:D works very well! I also use hoof polish not oil because of the fact that it doesnt get as messy.

please ignor the fighting between me and banditt. he was very hyper

120o8e0.jpg

marmite. You havent rolled those up. IN the UK for showing plaits must be rolled up like this
scan0002.jpg

I also like baby oil better than vaseline. If it is going to have any sandy (or similar) patches on the ground at the show oil before you need so that it has time to dry and the sand doesn't stick to his hoves. If you can do stitched plaits it looks nicer but it's harder and takes more time. Also, if you have any scars or anything you can get show sticks in white that will help to disguise it.

Good luck!

I think that under the current weather conditions he'd cook if you used baby oil as a highlighter!. Can you get the Fly Away 3in1 Guard? It acts as a highligher, fly repellent and sun screen, and is of the same consistancy as vaseline. Alternatively, Baby oil gel is easier to apply than actual baby oil.

Sew your plaits in, they're more likely to stay where you leave them then, and they do look neater that way.

You'll need hair spray to hold the quarter marks, and you'd best practise those with a fine toothed comb/fork/other pronged thing so you know what looks best.

I can't tell from that photo whether it's needed, but if you shorten his tail slightly so it's the same length as the bay in the photo (2/3" below the hocks when moving) it'll make his bum look bigger and more round.

As he's still hairy, I would make sure you keep him warm when he's been bathed, so that the hair is lying flat as he dries. Other wise he'll have a staring coat and it just won't shine or lie flat on the day.

If you look through the other disciplines forum there are quite a few recent threads on turnout tips, the most important tip being smile. :D

I dont have to smile - I hand him over to someone else for the showring :p So I can look as manic as I like.

Daffy - I LOVE the 3-in-1 but I dont have any this year. Really wish Id bought some at Chatsworth horse trials as it was really cheap.

He doesnt have any scars to cover.

Millie - are your friends riding or spectating? It's going to be MASSIVE - an estimated 1500 competitors and 3000 spectators! I spoke to someone who competed in the hunter class last year and there were 75 horses just in her class. :eek:

Glad the reins arent in my hands :p

He has a very long tail but it's one of his best features so should it really be shortened?..... actually it would look nice.... but it's really long and thick and glossy.... sometimes when it's very long though it pulls between their ankles and makes them look shuffly.... hmm. Dilemma :p

Will go and dig out my turnout book and brush up on stitching plaits :rolleyes:

xxx

If it is going to be that big then you will look out of place and ameturish with a long tail and banded plaits you will also need to pull the tail not plait it.

which classes are you doing. As far as im aware the coloured classes are RIHS qualifiers so you are likely to be up against the very best!

newrider.com