Showing clinic tomorrow

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I've never done one before - we have 90 minutes of tuition and my slot is at 1.30 so I should hopefully have enough time to get me and Rox looking pretty! Anyone done one? What can I expect?

Reactions: Jessey
I think you'll be shown how to titivate your horse and yourself, and there'll be a lot about show ring craft - how to show off your horse to the best effect and catch the judge's eye. Have fun and tell us all about it!

Will do! Going to head up to the yard at 11.30ish and start getting Roxy ready. I have no idea what to wear, but it's just a clinic not a competition so I guess it doesn't matter? It's the first time I've taken Roxy out anywhere in the trailer - and I am doing it on my own - so all good experience for us!

Reactions: Jessey
What a lovely thing to be able to do! I would LOVE to do something like that! How do you find out about it?

What a lovely thing to be able to do! I would LOVE to do something like that! How do you find out about it?
It was through my local riding club. It was fun! Roxy was really good being boxed there and back, looked lovely in her new cooler rug but she didn't sweat up at all. I arrived to find there'd been a mix up and I'd been put with the experienced people who were being talent scouted for HOYS instead of the novice group! My pony looked slightly out of place amongst the Andalusians and working hunters! I think we held our own just about OK, Roxy had a little bucking freak out just after I mounted her - it was quite a whistly, spooky Olympic size indoor arena and totally new to her - but she quickly settled down and was fine after that. Anyway, got a few pointers and might try a showing class now, perhaps an inhand one. I also know that we need plenty of time to arrive and look round and chill before our dressage test next week so that she's not spooky during the test!

there'd been a mix up and I'd been put with the experienced people who were being talent scouted for HOYS instead of the novice group!

Well that would totally freak me out to start with:D! I don't understand the term "showing clinic" as I didn't realise this meant riding, but you obviously did, what do you have to do?

Well that would totally freak me out to start with:D! I don't understand the term "showing clinic" as I didn't realise this meant riding, but you obviously did, what do you have to do?

It was a group session so initially we warmed up for 15 minutes or so. Then spent some time putting your horse through its paces with advice from the trainer/judge on how to do show them off to best advantage - like a flatwork session but with more emphasis on the horse's carriage and paces than the riding. Then the trainer/judge rode all the horses, then we all had to ride a 'show.' Finally, we spent some time being shown how best to show inhand. Roxy kind of went to sleep at that point as I was just sitting on her watching them!

newrider.com