Showing a NF in hand - tips/dress for an inexperienced man!

Bronya

Jan 17, 2006
My boyfriend is going to show his pony this year, in hand. Neither of us have ever shown in-hand before, so he has no idea and I can't help!

So, some questions I hope you can answer...!!

Pony: I'm guessing very clean, natural mane and tail. Do hooves need oiling? Any recommendations on pony make-up to cover up white marks? Does she need one of those white halters, or a bridle, or...???

Handler: Beige trousers (cords or slacks??), white shirt with discreet overcheck and tie to match? Is that right, and does he need a jacket? Cap? What should he wear on his feet? Does he need a showing cane?

Training: What does the pony need to be able to do? I'm guessing trot away from then to the judge, with the handler by her shoulder. Should the trot be fast and flashy, or more measured, or....? What else will she have to do?

Thank you!

I was hoping Mehabital might answer this as she's more into NF ponies than me, though I have shown a couple.

The mane and tai should be fairly natural but are allowed to be lightly trimmed (most do this). You're not allowed to use make-up on natives, but you can use hoof oil. If she's over 4 you can use a white halter or a bridle, but most use a white halter.

Your boyfriend sounds well turned out, he'll definately need a hat of some sort, a jacket is optional, as is a cane (but it can be useful!) He should have sturdy boots or shoes of a discrete colour that he can run in.

The trot you do should depend on the pony, NFs don't have to be run up flat out like Welsh cobs, the faster you go, the more accentuated any faults in straightness will become, so if she tends to dish, plait or go wide behind, keep the trot fairly slow, especially towards the judge. You're right, she'll need to be able to walk and trot sensibly, including going away from the others, and stand up correctly.

Dont know much bout NF but know that the best thing for white marks/feet/legs is blue shampoo and elbow grease. He he. Chalk makes the coat go dull and you dont want the jude to get white hands if they feel your horse! he he:D

newrider.com