Showing a native/trimming tips

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
I was going to put this in the showing section but I got the wrong forum:eek:

I'm going to be doing local level showing with my darling Stumps, just a bit of prettiest mare, a few prelim tests, family pony (you get my drift)...but she has a lot of excessive hair.

I'm talking about how can I tidy up her facial hair, as well as her mane, tail and feather without taking a great deal off. Although she's not a purebred, I do so love her dalesy feathers and hogging/clipping out isn't an option:rolleyes: :p Any ideas on how I can trim but keep it 'au naturel'?

I tried to find pictures which best show her hair? :p

Can you see the tufts?
Allthatgrass.jpg

9f06c32b.jpg

Mane, tail and feathers
LucindaandStumps.jpg

Cheers :)

Yes this forum doesn't have a showing section, but it should really go in 'Other Disciplines' but i wouldn't worry about it!

As yours is a native she sould be shown totally natural to be honest you shouldnt really trim her at all but some people i know do it a tiny bit just so they dont look scruffy. just trim her a tiny bit, by that i mean as litle as possible and not at all in the places she doesn't need it. Avoid cutting/trimming tail and mane in straight lines, this will make it look really obvious you have tidied her up. I personally think she look really good on the body shot you put up of her and doesnt look like she needs trimming at all! ;)

Hope this helps, good luck with your showing. SM xxx

I have trimmed Cherry's facial hair - her "beard" for want of a better word and I have to say that she does look a lot neater for it. It gave her head a much nicer definition.

Other than that, she is "au naturel" too.... takes a lot of work but I'm proud of that mane, tail and them there feathers.... :D

Old-mare, that's an old photo :p But thanks :) This is what she looks like now -
5e16ac60.jpg

Afellpony - no breeding papers unfortunately but she looks to be dales or fell x ;)

newrider.com