Show virgin needs help/advice

carn77

Carn and Jazz
Sep 30, 2008
Plymouth
Hopefully going to my first ever show in a couple of weeks time...need help with what i need to prepare?

I am mainly going so carn gets the experience of being surrounded by so many other horses/ponies and people so its more for fun relaxed 1st show than winning...

I will only be doing M&M inhand with my pony he has show bridle and lead so sorted in that respect...do i need to bath him? He has a bib clip growing out on his neck is that acceptable? His mane tail left natural but to keep it looking tame what tips have you got?

As for me what on earth do i wear????

Hopefully going to my first ever show in a couple of weeks time...need help with what i need to prepare?

I am mainly going so carn gets the experience of being surrounded by so many other horses/ponies and people so its more for fun relaxed 1st show than winning...

I will only be doing M&M inhand with my pony he has show bridle and lead so sorted in that respect...do i need to bath him? He has a bib clip growing out on his neck is that acceptable? His mane tail left natural but to keep it looking tame what tips have you got?

As for me what on earth do i wear????

you need:

corn/beige/cream jodhpurs or trousers dark id legs are white light if legs are draek
cream/blue/yellow shirt
tweed show jacket green/gret/blue/dog tooth
tie to complement jacket
blue/brown/black velvet hat or a fancy hat
boots brown ox blood or black short if under 16 long if 16+ but no need if wearing trousers just wear joddy boots
show can to match boots =]

seeing as this si your first show , good tip is to use one reign to make lead longer, so if he rund or goes up you have something to hold on to =]

have a good time =]

Thanks
I've no idea what i need wear havent got any show clothes havent got any money to buy anything either :eek:
Can i wear normal dark trousers? Type that i wear to work? With a plain simple top of some type??
If not maybe i can ask around see if anyone on my yard has kit i could borrow for the day...
Never taken part in a show myself at all...

The lead for carn thankfully is quite long so when he decides hes a 15hh stallion instead of a 12.2hh gelding i can get out of the way but hold on to him!!

Ooohhh, where are you going? PM me if you like, I am also off to a show in a couple of weeks;)

Work trousers should be fine a tweed jacket with a shirt and tie would be best - have a look in the free ads there maybe a cheapy in there:)

Work trousers i can pull off...
Will have a butchers for tweed jackets etc
I cant remember the dates of the shows but the 1st coming up is on the maristow estate...i cant remember the name of it sorry have terrible memory getting the show schedule 2mrw so will be able to let you know then
There are a few local shows that i can take carn this year as i've no transport i can hack/walk carn there...
Hopefully might see you at the shows i wont be hard to miss in my non show clothes & prancing chestnut wanna be stallion haha

you need trousers, not jods (jeans/cords whatever aslong as they are comfy and you can run in them)
short boots, jod boots/walking boots even discreet trainers aslong as you can run in them.
shirt and tie
tweed jacket
hat- either a bushmans hat, flat cap or riding hat (navy velvet is best) is always a good idea even if yours isnt silly in company the one next to you might be ;)
gloves (brown pref, black is better than none at all)
cane to finish picture off :)

he wears either a ridden bridle (snaffle, cavesson noseband) and take reins over head, or a proper inhand bridle (with lead and coupling) or a white halter. whichever you have most control in, dont mix and match though (eg. ridden bridle with coupling it just looks wrong ;))
deffo bath, turnout is everything, and it will encourage his coat to shift :)
pull mane level and to a decent length to show off his neck, no pont covering it up with loads of straggly hair :)
tail needs to be switched (to a point) and finish about half way below hocks :)

smooth mane and tail with brylcream, it needs to be smooth and neat on the dock and bushy at the bottom :) mane needs to all go over the right side and stay over the best as you can. forelock just needs neatening up if its past his muzzle :p

hope this helps! how old is he? got a picture (or 7 :p :D)

Thanks thats a great help...
Didnt realise that so much went into preparing for showing:eek:

Carn will be 5 in June so still a baby he is 12.2hh but being in such exciting environment he will suddenly become 15hh stallion :rolleyes:

Ok cos you've asked here's a couple pictures of him - what do you think?
He's still member of weight watchers
Sorry pics are huge i've no idea how to make them smaller

DSC000061.jpg

DSC000031.jpg

DSC000011.jpg

nice chap :D stunning colour

what is he? is he a registered m&m breed> (welsh/new forest perhaps?)

Carn isnt registered and your guess is as good as mine about his breed??
He was rescued from Bodmin moor so have idea who dam/stallion was...he deffo has welsh in him but with what who knows??

turnout is still the same any road, but make sure you go in the small breeds one if they split the class ;)

and finally, good luck and dont forget pictures :D

newrider.com