Shouting / using voice

x-emzie-x

Oct 17, 2007
At my local stable i ride a black and white horse called april, she is gaugeous.
the oy thing is she doesnt move!
a tap behind the leg with the whip gets her going but thn she stops.
My RI said the trick is to say APRIL! COME oN APRIL! wel shout it and he will move, it works, but i feel silly. i know this sounds stupid but its the only way to get her moving, from the first out to school and the trach left my RI says to shot come on april and she knows im in charge.
Any help to get a lazy horse to pick up its feet?

thanks x:D

ive ridden horses that i have had to use my voice to get moving, most of the time i would just say in a very loud strong voice, "ON" at the same time as using legs and whip
dont feel silly, if its a horse that is used in a riding school situation then it will be expected that she will know all sorts of tricks to avoid doing work (i once schooled a 10.3hh shetland that used to try run under fences when you were riding him! :S)
the more you ride her the more she should learn that you are in charge and that you wont let her get away with it

Sometimes getting cross (with your voice) does help and at least it is better than being nagged with the leg or smacked with the whip (or at least I think so!)

Forget your inhibitions and have a good yell (and when she responds give a big GOOD GIRL!!!):p

Yep, a firm "walk ON!" does work, especially with a pony that knows how to take the mick. It works on the ground too, I have just started growling commands at the RS pony I ride and I am so pleased he listens and doesn't walk all over me anymore. :D :D

Lots of school ponies are well used to responding to voice commands (so much so that when the instructor says 'prepare to canter' they do - we use, 'prepare to c-word'!) and some respond better to voice than anything else. We use 'hup' to get them to canter if they ignore the rider's aid, and part of getting them to listen to the rider means teaching the rider the voice commands.

Lol, I never use the 'C' word when I am riding Mollie! I sing song 'T R O T' and a slow, 'STAND' voice and 'WALK ON' -but hey with my canter phobia at the moment, the 'C' word is a definite no-no!

An old RI used to shout at us if we didn't use our voices (not in a nasty way), after a while MOST of us in the lesson were clickin, cluckin and growling all round the school, a few weeks later she told us not to use our voices and the lesson was mayhem, apart from the habit we'd developed bein hard to break, the horses went so much better when aids were backed up by voice. We were allowed to use our voices again the following week :D I guess it was her way to proove her point and to get it across to the group members who were a little shy that it really does work

Shire Monster, ain't that the truth, I am one of those shy ones, but now I have found out it does work (in the last week!) I will be talking to him from now on. :D

I always use my voice when riding, when horses are broken and lunged its all thats used to get them going (well that and a long whip). I noticed that last week I was the only person i could hear in my lesson, everyone else was silent, i found them all very odd :D

I talk and sing to my horse when we are hacking or schooling, she doesn't seem to mind. She is also trained to voice commands, but because I am trying to turn her into a dressage horse, I try to use voice commands as little as possible. She is VERY responsive off the leg and seat, which is good, as I really don't need to use my voice that much (maybe she's just trying to get away from my singing).

Kai works well of voice command..

I can usually just say ( when in carriage) whoo hoooo and he slows/stops .. Get on.. keeps him going GEETT ONNN when hes being a bit silly ( more growly!!)

He also knows if hes being bargey at tea time KAI ( in a gruff angry voice) he soon backs of and waits patiently ( I will NOT be walked over at teatimes!!) ! lol

I usually shout ' come on Kai' and he comes to be caught at the gate..unless hes already spotted my car!

I rode Ace today and was talking to him as we schooled. I said ' Ok and in a minute we're going to trot'.... and off he trotted! I'd only said it in conversation! If my RI tells anyone else to canter he's off regardless of whether it's his turn or not! I need to get him ear plugs...:p

Some horses do respond very well to voice, especially the 'peed off mummy' voice :D That's my emergency brakes on fatty :) She's responded to 'oi madam you can bl**dy well pack that in right now' when nothing i can possibly do with the bit is doing anything to install brakes :) Things like 'oi' and 'pack it in' also work very well as buck stoppers when she's having a bit too much fun cantering!

thanks, my lesson is on tuesday, and my friend is coming to watch lol.
i said to her you cant laugh at me though.
ill try the COME ON APRIL NOW!!!!!! really growling and see if she moves. ill post and let you know how i get onn

awww :)

mine knows NO! (stops her from running off, roadside snacking and a multitude of other things - she normally knows exactly what it is she is doing that she should not be doing) and 'Angel! SHOOOOOOO!' when she's meant to be cantering, amongst other things!

Julia
x

ps: dont worry, once you get started with the nattering, errr, 'voice commands' you will soon lose all sense of shame or embarrassment :D

Last edited:
unfrtunaely my lesson was cancelled due to the bad weather and the school manarge was flooded out! my lesson has been rescheduled util thursday and i will let you know then x

i had my lesson on thursday, itwas cool. i shouted at april but she did move i had a lead ein for a bit and then i was fine!
sows it works

newrider.com