Should you replace body protectors after a fall?

KTSmini

Happiest on a horse
Aug 5, 2004
Dorset
Visit site
Yesterday had a nasty fall after pony tripped after a jump & went down on his knees :(. I went over his head & promptly landed on my head & then onto my back.

I felt the hat take the impact & will be replacing it. I also felt my back smack onto the ground. In the end.... my pride was hurt more than anything although my ribs/ shoulders are a little sore this morning, so I reckon my good old BP did it's job.

So, do I need to replace the BP as well as my hat? Is it the same principle as hats where once the foam's been squashed it wouldn't support as well next time if I landed on the same place?

Not normally as they are made of a foam that will squish to absorb the impact then return to the normal shape unlike hats where the hard shell will crack or develop invisibe stress fratures that can result in failure next time you really need it

I have had a few falls but didn't replace the BP. I heard once that they needed to be replaced every 3 years anyway, but my tack shop said that this was rubbish and that I should only need to replace it if a new safety standard came out.

Glad that you weren't hurt from your fall.

I've just bought a brand new one so I'll go and dig out the blurb that came with it and see what it says

we lost daughters bp and bought a new one for her

and then the old one turned up! typical eh!

newrider.com