should i strip graze

imissmykids

Jun 12, 2009
our 11.2 pony is going onto a 2 acre field. the grass is not very long but there is plenty of it. she will alone for the first 3 weeks untill she is joined by our 15 hh horse. do you think i should limit her grazing by strip grazing? shes not too over weight at moment, but i dont want pigging out and turning into a fatty!! what do you think? she will out 24/7

I'd say so, she could end up with laminitis if she overstuffs herself. I've just finished my first strip and it's about 20' x 100' for 2 full size horses so you'd probably only need a tiny patch for a little pony to begin with and then when she has hardly any grass left in her patch, open it up a bit more.

2 acres is far too big for a 15hh horse and a 11.2hh pony!, so YES!!
Start off with a size no bigger than a couple of stables, then allow a strip of around a couple of feet a day.

Better still make a round track system around a paddock about half the size of your 2 acre field. ie split in half, then say 10 feet in, run electric fencing around so you create a track; water one end so they have to walk.

Dont forget, we are bound to have a flush of grass growth September time.

newrider.com