Should I let other half teach me to jump ??

wickesy1

Feb 7, 2007
warwickshire
What do people think about this. We have both ridden for years although I have never been the most confident rider especially when horses do silly twirly spooky stuff . To make a long story shortish, he loves his jumping and jumps BSJA, and I prefer dressage, showing etc although have done bits of small jumping in the past.
However confidence and balance at all time low since had accident last year and fractured 2 vertebrae.
He thinks I will feel a lot better about things if I have a go at jumping his horse who is a real sweetie and very geniune. His idea is jumping will help balance and in turn confidence. I can see where he is coming from and would actually quite like a go on his horse, but had thought about doing it with my friend for support.
The problem is, we are bound to disagree and end up falling out. Both of us seem super critical of the other and neither do criticism very well ( only off each other, we are very well behaved with instructors).
I have visions of me doing a Frankie Dettori and launching myself out of the saddle at him and burying him in the sand school at the first negative comment .:eek:

Me again, this is them having a jumpy session at the yard.
m.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

I've been in two relationships with horsey men, both of whom have given me lessons. Worked fine with first guy, he was very tactfull....:rolleyes: Current guy big no no :eek: One lesson nearly ended in divorce!!!

Have you ever had him give you instruction in other areas of your life? I.e. driving is a good one....how did that go? It really depends on your relationship.

The key to any sort of learning is to find a teacher you gell with.

I love my other half beyond measure but he drives me crackers as he teaches in a way he likes to learn and is unable to addapt his style.

We learn very differently so having him try to teach me anything would do more harm than good.

Think about your needs and the type of teaching you would require to be able to learn effectively.

Would your other half be able to consistently teach in this manner?

If the answer is yes then go for it, if not then find someone else who can and preserve you relashionship :D

give it a go for a couple of sessions and see how it goes. make it clear from the beginning that if it doesnt work for you that you will be getting an instuctor.
Your post made me chuckle as when my husband started to ride he wouldnt have an instuctor, so i taught him (talk about the blind leading the blind!:eek:) After a couple of months he actully would argue with everything i said and now he even tries to instruct me!!!!!!:rolleyes:

your hubby is right-- the horse knows his job got a good jump in him to looking at pics you can learn a lot from ahorse that been there and done it
what hubby is saying its not just for confidence but to learn from the horse
who know how to set himself up and approach a jump and land then take of again this would give you confidence as you really have to do is go with the flow
so if hubby says -- fold at a point whre you need to or give reasle and pick up you dont have to worry about anything esle so in a way hes can teach you
as the horse will do the rest--
when debs was younger i got her a retired grade a hes older but still had it in him to jump was looking for the queiter life so 1mtr or 1.30 were nothing to himhim being able to jump as in proper jumping with big fences ie cc1 and Ai tracks taught her a lot today she moved on and appreciates the horse of what he taught her having her owns string of youngsters - but ollie is now in his twenties but still can perform and do his stuff
sometimes its the horse themselves we can learn from as for confidence it will boast it a lot
my mates daaughter lack confidence in jumping so i leant her my own mare for her to learn and take to local events and shows- she also learn by my mare and has improved and moved on
having an expreince horse or pony does help so when you back on your own you have more of idea what to do and more of an idea as wwhen to do it

Thanks all. I think I will give it a little go whilst off this week and see how it goes. He is a lovely kind horse and I do ride him for schooling etc, so just need to get to grip with things and have a little jumpy.

newrider.com