Should horses always have homes for life?

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
...Obviously unless there is some desperate crisis...

Well you said you wanted some new threads, and this one gets people going!

I'll start by saying I have nothing but admiration for people who will keep their horse(s) no matter what. But I have never seen my horses as permanent family members and I don't and won't shy away from making the decision to sell or give away for one reason or another.

I look after them very well when I have them. I make sure that if/when they move on, they go to a suitable home. At the moment I can't imagine ever selling Charlie. But Heidi will be outgrown in the next few years and she'll be moving on I expect. And I'm always interested in new projects and new challenges.

There are often lots of judgmental comments made when a poster talks about selling/gifting their horse, which I always think is really harsh, so I thought I'd throw open the debate and see what people think.

(Ducks for cover).

I really want to keep my two cobs until god forbid their dying day...

In saying this I sold the two I had before them-

An ex-racer of whom I loved dearly but I really feared for my life riding him and leading him in hand I didnt have the experience to bring him on. He has since gone to a fab home I still see him regularly and he doing so well she has turned him around completely.

The other was an adorable welsh section c pony who I bought for my little sister as a first pony he turned out to be a second pony with no breaks. I couldnt risk her confidence or safety and had heartbreakingly sell him there were lots of tears.

I have the same prob now she has now outgrown her 14.1 welsh section d, now because I am only 5.2 in height I also ride him. He gives me a break from my forward going nervy mare and I regularly take him on long chilling hacks and have fallen in love with him. My little sister now wants a larger cob to further her show jumping and is too young to move onto horses. I cant look after three with my working hours at the mo and I cant really afford three. My dilemma is that I just cant or rather wont let the 14.1 cob go I have really fallen for him. Prior to me being his owner he was passed from pillar to post with some nasty abuse along the way. When we first got him he was a little angel to ride but you couldnt get near him in the stable it has taken a year for him to become trustworthy and confident and he seems so happy right now. It would break my heart if someone abused or hurt him again.

So sorry for the long post struck a chord in me :eek:

Last edited:
It just depends what you want a horse for. If you want to compete and to always be able to ride then it's probably not going to be an option, unless you end up keeping ALL of your oldies.. I've kept mine for life but only because I'm a pathetic softie when it comes to my animals and get far too attached for my own good. Also I'm lucky enough to keep her where we live. Paying livery for an unrideable oldie also isn't an option for some people. I quite understand both arguments, it all depends on what you want the horse for, and your financial situation.

I dont have issues with people selling on for the right reasons and in the right manner with consideration for the horse in question. I understand that personal finances and circumstances change, that they arent doing the "job" or purpose you need them for or theyve simply been outgrown or moving onto a bigger challenge.

I would sell horses on if I was in that situation, but my two are with me for keeps. I could never sell Silver unless I was forced too (finances) and she wasnt having an adequate quality of life - but she (they both do now) come before anything I want or need. Silver has a lot of issues, and if sold on would be very likely she would be passed about - shes not a kids pony, she has bad sweet itch and is a moody madam and needs firm handling on the ground and consistancy. Rascal isnt complicated like she is, but hes not suitable for kids to ride or drive (not yet at least). But they are now a little pair so mine for keepsies :)

Well, as I bought something sane and suitable to share with my daughter . . . he's big enough to carry me and not too big for her, he's young enough but not too young, we aren't a particularly competitive home - he's just something for us to grow with and love. The only reason I would sell him is if I truly couldn't afford to keep him - but as he can happily live out, we'd have to be in real dire straits.

That said, I can see how if we'd bought Em a pony when she was much younger, we'd certainly be looking to sell as she moves on to horses (which she has now done). Ditto, if we had bought something completely unsuitable and found ourselves over-horsed. I wouldn't, though, be happy about passing on a "problem" to someone else.

I think this is a very emotional issue and one that really rests with each individual owner. I know it stirs up debate, but really we have to make our decisions and do what makes sense for us and our horses . . .

N

At the moment my financial and family situation means i cant afford to keep a horse that is unable to do anything, so yeah unfortunately there comes a time when id need to rehome and get something more suitable.

Which is exactly what im going through right now with Ted. Doesnt mean it isnt difficult i just have to be realistic.. :rolleyes::(

In a perfect world - what a nice thought - Realistically - I don't think anyone can hand on heart say definately, no-one know's whats round the corner.

For me I would like to say yes and ours where purchased with no thought of ever moving them on, but if it came down to not being able to guarantee their welfare or quality of life then it would be decision time, that may be sell, loan or give away, in times with so many having uncertain futures then unless a definate re-home prospect for working or companion and no major health issues, age etc I think I would rather know their future and PTS, thats how I feel, it would probably kill me and I know many think thats possibly wrong - but we have responsibilities as soon as we take them on.

I know someone who is in that position now, 3 aged, lami & retired, she won't move them on to an uncertain future and won't cut out the middle man and let them go to the meat man - so D day is approaching, shes had 2 of them for 20years+ and it will be like loosing her right arm, but circumstances change , they will be buried together as they lived together but that won't be much comfort for her on the day.

yes.
if was able to have the support to look after a horse,the ones that cant be ridden are actually what prefer and woud look out for first,and it woud be a 'forever home' no matter what,to self it is about the connection and friendship than it is the riding,woud still be doing riding on Jas every week.
if coud not afford to look after a horse one day,and there was no way of getting around it like what happens to some horse owners,woud give her/him to one of the family who have their own land/farm,so they woud still be kept in the family and woud know she woud be safe.

My horses are not competition animals, they were bought for pleasure and are family members, end of. I've only ever sold one horse who was a complete mis-match. We had my first pony until she passed, i'll keep my current boys until they pass on aswell. My first pony had 5 years intermittant work and racked up over 10 grand in vets bills (AFTER the exclusions kicked in) but there was never any question of selling/rehoming. i don't disagree with people who hold the opposing view point, but it's something i personally would never do. toby has been with me 14 years and is too cantancerous to ever part with, kez i backed and trained myself. I'll be damned if anyone else gets the benefit of my hard work with him! he's mine to enjoy :D

*if* I had my own land that was secure,and was well off money wise,so that needing to work wasn't an issue then maybe I would happily keep them all to live out their day's with me.I don't have that though,I rent land,I have to be fit to work to earn money to keep them,and I have my family that has to come first,so if any of my circumstances changed,and the horses were a burden in any way rather than a pleasure,then I'm afraid they would have to go.

I also take the view that I do sacrifice an awful lot and work hard to keep them,so I should IMO enjoy them.If I wasn't enjoying a particular horse for whatever reason,the I would sell it and get a different one,simple as that.I don't see the sense in working my butt off to have a horse to enjoy if I'm not enjoying it,and the horse could have just a good a home with someone else and I could then get something more what I wanted.

They are a passion for me,but definitely come in the hobby category rather than a member of the family.I have other things that come higher on the list than horses,so although I love having horses they are not my priority in life.I will always ensure they have decent care,and will be responsible for them whilst I have them,but I don't feel I owe them a home for life.

In my early days of competing I bought and sold alot of horses/ ponies and youngsters and sold them on. I could then detach myself from getting too close and emotionally involved.

For the last 17 yrs or so I have changed my views alot, I now could never imagine selling on any of my lot and now have the view that when we take a horse/pony on it is for life.They are all like our family.:)

I also take the view that I do sacrifice an awful lot and work hard to keep them,so I should IMO enjoy them.If I wasn't enjoying a particular horse for whatever reason,the I would sell it and get a different one,simple as that.I don't see the sense in working my butt off to have a horse to enjoy if I'm not enjoying it,and the horse could have just a good a home with someone else and I could then get something more what I wanted.

That's exactly how I feel. On the other hand I see dogs differently: they ARE family! But then all I expect from a dog is companionship and loyalty and you get that in bucketloads. I expect fun, games & challenges from horses! They are a hobby. A passionate hobby but a hobby none-the-less. Having said that, Charlie is something special, and has burrowed deep into my pragmatic unemotional heart! I think he's probably a keeper no matter what.

Personally yes horses should be for life - well you wouldn't sell a child would you and what is the difference.

Having said that I can see that some people have to sell horses if they find out the horse is too much for them or needs more than they can give.

I find it hard to understand why people sell/rehome horses just because they can't be ridden - injury or old age. Yes we want o ride but looking after what you have is more important.

My old mare was unrideable for 6 months before she snapped the suspensory ligament and had to be PTS. But even if it had been 6 yrs I would have gone without riding to care for her. After all she taught me everything I know about horses and deserved to be looked after for life.

The way I look at it if one of my kids had an accident and was paralised I wouldn't get rid of them and get another kid with no injury. I really can't see why animals should be different.

I no other people may not agree with me but this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think it depends on why the horse was bought.

Tyler and Hamish were bought as pets / family members, so as much as I can, they will always have a home for life.

If a horse is bought for competing, I can understand why an owner may feel the need to sell, as long as they do their best to sell to a good home.

Jen
x

I plan to have mine until their dying days when I hope to be able to have them pts at home - not shipped off somewhere. I only have enough land to keep the two of them and Robbie is Archies companion so once Archie is no longer able to be ridden then I shall just have to go to the local RS for a hack - or find the cash to keep a ridden horse at livery.

Mine are family pets and I cant see me we neither of them. "runs off to touch wood"

Mine are family. Riding is secondary. They didnt ask to be mine - I made that choice. Why should they be ripped apart from their wee herd and the security they have known to suit me?

In saying that, nowadays, if I was to buy a totally unsuitable horse I would consider selling but once they get their hooves properly under the table thats them for life:).

I have, a couple of times in my life, ended up in a situation where I had an unrideable horse and had to choose. I always chose them.

They are right up there with my dogs and cats.

I dont mind people selling on horses for whatever reason but I sometimes wonder who they actually think is going to be responsible for the older ones. There are a lot of "poor me, I love my horse so much and its breaking my heart to part with my pride and joy - but I actually love riding more" threads on the go, both here and elsewhere. They really annoy and upset me.:( By all means get rid of them but at least have the decency to admit that you prefer riding.

Before I got married and had children I would have argued that horses should always have a home for life and that they should never be sold on. However, life changes and now I am married with (almost) 2 children my family will always come first. I want to buy a horse within the next few years and will have to juggle family life with horses. However I cannot guarentee a horse a home for life - if I were to lose my job, had an accident, someone were to become ill etc. the horse would have to be the first thing to go. What kind of mother/wife would I be if I put a horses welfare before that of my family? While I would find it very hard to part with a much loved horse, I would do my best to find them a good home - or I would make the decision to PTS.

Horses are adaptable animals and can and do settle well into new homes, owners and routines. If you are sensible in looking for the best possible home then I don't see anything wrong with re-homing. Otherwise horse riding becomes a truely elitist sport only for the rich who can afford to keep their horses under all circumstances. Also, if horses were never sold on, where on earth am I going to find my perfect 'first' horse. I will be looking for a 10 plus year old, who is experienced and safe and steady. If no-one re-homed horses I would end up with a 3 year old who I had to bring on myself.

I get my horses with the intention of keeping them for life, I have basically 4 retried horses and a youngster at the moment, they are my horses, they are part of my life and family and they stay with me, but if I had to sell them on, due to financial problems (I very nearly did have to sell them but I moved to a field next to the most horrible woman to keep them) or some other reason I would find them the best home I possibly could.
I believe that when we take horses on we have a duty to make sure they have a good life, even if we can't give it to them we have to make sure that the next person can, and the horse isn't going to get passed from pillar to post.
I am the same as Skippys Mum and it really upsets and annoys me when I see the 'poor me, I love my horse so much and its breaking my heart to part with my pride and joy - but I actually love riding more' or ' we just haven't bonded and I want to get something else to play with now' threads.

Last edited:
I have bought and sold quite a few horses in my time.
They cost a lot, financially and time wise to keep.
If I haven't bonded as I'd like to with a horse, I'm happy to sell on as I believe it will be better for everyone concerned.
The horse I have at the moment has a home for life, because of my age and the fact that she is just about perfect for me, she will probably be my last horse.

Mary Poppins, its not the bit about horses being sold on that gets me, its the bit about "oh please give me sympathy, its breaking my heart, oh they are too expensive to keep unless you can ride them" bit that gets me. Apparently they are not too expensive if you can ride them?

Thats absolutely fine - but people should be more honest. If they turn round and say "I've decided to sell my horse because its not what I want at this stage in life - I'll be upset but its my choice" then fine - go for it. Just dont expect the hearts and flowers. Or the pages of "poor you's" on a thread that seems to be compulsory these days.

I would worry more about selling an older horse or one with problems. In that case, should I have more than one, I would probably rehome the healthier one and keep the problem horse to secure its future.

I dont think this thread is about people who have no choice but to sell - my heart breaks for them. Its about people who are choosing to sell for their benefit. There is a big big difference. By all means sell, but just be more honest about it.

newrider.com