Should grass livery cost as much if not more than DIY?

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
We are getting to that time of year where many yards are thinking about retricting turnout to 'save' the land.

Given that many yards will operate an in during the night and out during the day policy this means they can have twice as many horses at their yards with the same wear on the winter fields than if they had everyone out 24/7.

Grass livery is a scarce commodity in my area as land prices run at about £25,000 per acre and xommercial yards therefore need to have more horses per acre and offer more services to make it pay. So should the yard owners be charging as much if not more for 24/7 turnout throughout winter?

If you were on grazing only would you be prepared to pay the same as for DIY given that if you were on DIY you'd need to pay out even more for hay, feed and bedding. Your horse would have to accept limited turnout and you wouldn't have the flexibility with your time that grass livery affords.

Discuss ;)

Hmm is an interesting one isn't it.

On the one hand I would say that grazing should be cheaper as with DIY you do get more for your money (stables,facilities etc),but like you say with grazing you do get the option of doing more what suits,and save money on hay and bedding costs etc.

I see what you mean about yards being able to take more horses,and making more money,but they do have higher maintenance costs so maybe is as broad as it's long so to speak??

Personally I pay exactly the same for my new grazing as was paying at DIY livery,which I confess I was a bit miffed about at first,but from a convenience POV being so near to my house it was worth it to me,and now I have the go ahead for having a second horse but still paying the same obviously it is going to work out cheaper than my DIY which was per horse.Generally though I think grazing and grass livery in my area are cheaper than DIY.

I can kind of see your point, but really I think access to a stable is soo worth the extra cash. What about when the weather's horrendous and you want to bring your horse in for a groom/rug change/check over? Nightmare if you don't have any cover. And I know that at my yard (not 24/7 turnout incidentally) the horses are absolutely desperate to come in for a break from the flies by the end of the day (I suppose flies would be less bad at night anyway but still).

My friend who doea have 24/7 turnout still gives her horse a few hours a day in the stable for a break, and however 'natural' it may be to be in the field, I know he appreciates coming in. Runs to the gate and when he gets in his stable promptly goes to sleep! Often takes a lot of coaxing to get him to go back out esp on v hot days.

I slightly prefer having a stable. If the grass livery package allowed access to a stable then I would be happy to pay a bit more for 24/7 turnout, however my concerns woud be what happens in the event of an injury and if the weather turns very bad, would all the horses have a stable.

Jen
x

I reckon the reason most places don't offer grass livery is because it's not good business - as you said, it's less economical for the landowner as they can have less horses, but owners are willing to pay less for it as they don't have stables for 'just in case'.
The one yard I've been on that offered grass livery was horrendously overgrazed.

I think grass livery is scarce because of what it does to the ground. Have you seen a field after a few horses have spent the winter outside?

I have four horses plus three liveries and they all live out. We have stables if we need them but they don't get much use. In the spring the land needs rest and recuperation, though thankfully we can always move onto a fresh bit. Not everyone has such luxury and fields can soon become mudbaths.

I don't know of any grass livery near me, if you want turnout 24/7 you rent a field or yard.

Tbh I spend hours fencing and poo picking my field to keep it in the best possible condition, it would cost a fortune to pay someone else to do it.

newrider.com