short full neck rug to long half neck rug

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
im switching my girl to a longer rug as the weather is getting worse and her belly is getting fluffy, and as im not going to clip her dont want her fluffy when she can be worked again.
as its only a half neck rug, do you think i should add a full neck so she stays warm? i have some ds that came with my shires neck cover i can out on.
the rug im switching her to is the same weight as the one she has on now, and she wintered in this rug last year as its the one she came with, its an old rambo.

Dont really know if this will help but shadow is in his HW turnout and neck cover during the day as he is clipped and is fine!!! nice and toasty warm and they are about the same weight i would imagine!
Id say put the thicker one on her, it will keep the hair less fluffy and keep the weight on her as long as she doesnt sweat, im guessing she is coming in at night????
I think about now is time for thick rugs, its very very cold! Especially for the ones who lose condition and are clipped etc!!!

yes she comes in at night. her outdoor is only a mw at the moment, and she has a hw stable rug on at night. she has her 1/2 neck on today as it isnt raining and the weather seems ok. i will either have to put ambers hw on her wen the weather gets colder or put the under rug on. im a bit worried her neck will get wet and she will get cold if it rains. shes not looking too bad now, lost a bit of muscle on her back, but shes getting a nice big bum now :D

can u not get a neck cover to attach to it!!! then u can take it off when its too warm and pop it on when its cold! I have to sew D's onto my M/W thats why shadow has his h/w at the mo, hes not goin out without his neck cover on!!!
Because she is not clipped she shouldnt need much but the neck cover will help a lot!!! glad her condition is looking up!

yes ive got ds i can sew onto it to attach a neck cover, but i was just wondering if there was a point or not.

i wondered that last year but iv found its much easier to have them rugged well with neck covers etc! shadow is much happier, his clip will last longer, he is less dirty, his mane is in better condition! i think if shadow wasnt clipped i would just get a rain proof neck cover with no filling so as it just acts as a wind breaker and mac and then he wouldnt get too hot, perhaps you could get one of these!!! then she wont get too warm but will still be nice and dry!!! :)
Sewing D's on will be a pain, i have to do that this weekend!!! :(

im just looking at a hw amigo on ebay. its blue and has ds and i already have a blue neck cover so that might work. :D then amber can have the half neck one shes has on at the mo, cause my poor pambi was stood in her stable soaking wet and shivering last night. :(

ahhhhh!!!
My friend had got all of them in last nite when i got down at the stables, shadow is in the barn at night at the mo with harry and biya and i wanted to take him out so i could feed him without the others getting his food, he would have been under cover and not in the rain but he wouldnt move from the barn! Bless him! It was like, mum im in my PJ's and im cosy warm im not going anywhere!!! hee hee hee, so had a great game of feeding him as he eats slower than the others!!! :p

newrider.com