Shoes Sound Loose

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Grrr. This has happened twice now after shoeing. About three weeks following my farrier visit, my horse's shoes sound loose just walking in the field. He had one raised clench the other day which I hammered back down (hope thats ok?:unsure:) and its dry this week so wondering if his feet have dried and shrunk a bit. I'm now praying that he will keep them on for another couple of weeks, I keep picking his feet up and trying to wiggle the shoe (and it doesn't move an inch). What is going on?!

The wet - dry - wet - dry weather is causing a lot of horses' hooves to crack up & not hold nails as well as normal. Also the ground is hard (at least where I am) & he's a big heavy horse, I'm not really surprised that they're sounding a bit iffy. FWIW my ID has to be shod every 4 weeks & I frequently need his clenches tightening before then.

Thanks CH, I guess I expect it to be shorter intervals during the summer months - I'm still in my first full year of having him shod so not sure how much his feet are growing and how they react to the dry-wet-dry. It just seemed crazy that its happening again so soon - I dread farrier time, I'm still only getting over the last visit!!

newrider.com