Shockwave therapy

Roofio

Jul 23, 2006
West Midlands
This has been suggested as a possibility to treat Dylan's pyramidal disease (sort of low ringbone) to break up the extra bone growth. I wish i'd took a pic of his xray before the vet took it back, but basically, instead of the bone at the top of the pedal bone where it meets the short pastern being rounded, it is pointed.

like this
dsfoot.jpg

and so this is catching the tendon/ligament (not sure) as he moves his foot. its not a massive lump but is causing him discomfort. vet is confident he'll be sound enough to be a hack after 6 months rest but if there's a possibility of making him more comfortable its got to be worth a go.

does anyone have any experience of this type of treatment?

Not for same thing a mare i bought had it for her damaged suspensory ligament and she is now sound and no problems but i know from her old owner it has been long expensive haul,but good luck

Molly has recently had a course of shockwave for a fracture caused by strained suspensory ligament. It seems to have done the trick - although I don't know how long it would have taken to heal without it.

I never actually saw it done, but Molly had to be lightly sedated for it - it's very noisy, makes a loud rapid clacking noise which can upset some horses. Molly told me it was also ticklish, which made her fidget!

newrider.com