shocked at how much feed given

almonds

Jul 21, 2009
i just had to mention this as i was so shocked.does this ring any bells?i found out how much feed was being given to these horses and nearly fell off my chair. so much feed was being given that you could actually see undigested oats in the horses droppings!!! they are fed so much they are dangerous to handle a risk to all nurotic and beserk.its not only a total waste of money and completly insane you are responsible for some of the safety of others.the stomac cannot deal with this overload and to be that stuffed that the food is bypassing and not being utilised is stupid.feeding is a science and essential part of horse care.these horses arnt in work and are tbs and young.the beds of the horses are like a ses-pit also.i just cant understand why they are chucking their money down the drain.but importantly letting other people risk their necks. (three feeds per day a full bucket) eeek. oats and consentrates. whats the world coming to.

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Depends where in the world you are and what the horses are used for.

In many stables in continental europe, ie not UK, for example hard feeds are used much more and forages less. Stallions/brood mares who do not appear to be working also have high energy requirements.

If it worries you ask the yard why they do things this way. There is often a reason.

Kis Vihar

Nutty Saddlers !
Depends where in the world you are and what the horses are used for.

In many stables in continental europe, ie not UK, for example hard feeds are used much more and forages less.

We had a fit when we saw how horses were fed here.....but we have actually gradually changed our methods towards the 'local way' - Ours are out on grazing 18 hours a day and still get hay and lucerne, but all are fed oats now too.

Many locals keep their horses in 'stalls' and deep littered (I don't like this way!:() and feed loads of lucerne and buckets full of oats and maize....with no ill effect! :eek:

almonds

Jul 21, 2009
We had a fit when we saw how horses were fed here.....but we have actually gradually changed our methods towards the 'local way' - Ours are out on grazing 18 hours a day and still get hay and lucerne, but all are fed oats now too.

Many locals keep their horses in 'stalls' and deep littered (I don't like this way!:() and feed loads of lucerne and buckets full of oats and maize....with no ill effect! :eek:

ive noticed you are in hungary? the weather must be alot nicer than uk! we cant have our blood horses out all the time in winter the soil they are on is basically clay and rain just sits on it and goes to mud.not nice! i agree with feeding energy food if spending alot of time out,or exercise it seemed to me the energy from what was being given isnt being used.hence wild horses to be handled,these arnt brood mares or stallions and just dont need it.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Whole oats will just pass through any horse.

Some folk have a fit when they hear what I feed our Shetlands, they sometimes get oats and sugar beet and barley in winter plus haylage. But I'd never recomment feeding that to a pony in the south of England.

I think Kis might not agree with you abut the weather being better than the UK. Curate's egg, good in parts. Winter, I hear, can have a bit of a nip to it.

Kis Vihar

Nutty Saddlers !
I think Kis might not agree with you abut the weather being better than the UK. Curate's egg, good in parts. Winter, I hear, can have a bit of a nip to it.

LOL! Up to the mid-forties in summer (that's 100 degrees or so in 'old money') and down to minus 20 in winter!! Your eyeballs freeze when you step outside! :eek:

ALL our horses are out all year and only stabled from late at night to first-light in the morning - in minus 20 they are well-rugged - but do NOT like staying stabled. Only ONCE have they been stabled 24-7 for a couple of days - when we had so much snow overnight that we couldn't physically dig them out of their stables! Hell they were messy!! We 'mucked out' by hurling more straw over the doors, and piling hay in front of them. They were VERY bored - and LOVE getting out in the snow. :)

Most of our soil is clay, but it drains well, apart from the 'pond area' which floods in winter. We have a 3 acre 'jumping arena' which was sanded for the purpose of making a better surface, which is now a lovely grassy paddock, so that gets used for winter turnuot if it's very wet.

almonds

Jul 21, 2009
LOL! Up to the mid-forties in summer (that's 100 degrees or so in 'old money') and down to minus 20 in winter!! Your eyeballs freeze when you step outside! :eek:

ALL our horses are out all year and only stabled from late at night to first-light in the morning - in minus 20 they are well-rugged - but do NOT like staying stabled. Only ONCE have they been stabled 24-7 for a couple of days - when we had so much snow overnight that we couldn't physically dig them out of their stables! Hell they were messy!! We 'mucked out' by hurling more straw over the doors, and piling hay in front of them. They were VERY bored - and LOVE getting out in the snow. :)

Most of our soil is clay, but it drains well, apart from the 'pond area' which floods in winter. We have a 3 acre 'jumping arena' which was sanded for the purpose of making a better surface, which is now a lovely grassy paddock, so that gets used for winter turnuot if it's very wet.

wow thanks for shareing your experiences in what and how its like with you,the weather does have a major stand in how horses are fed and kept especially in those very colder climates where the real need for the extra warmth in food is needed.as with what wally said to in her post.i will always remember that.thanks guys.