Shires Deluxe Grazing Muzzle

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Does anyone have one of these ? I've not seen one in the flesh so to speak but from what I can see on the internet the wool padding looks a very good extra and I like the new cut.

Are they rubbish or quite good ? I have had the shires one in the past for short periods it's fine on my horse but any more than 2 hours and it starts to rub him raw where it's a snug fit around his nose. But for the price of it I'm happy to try and even modify it around the nose holes so he can get a bit more airflow.

Thanks

I have this been using it 3 weeks now,the cut is very good,malaika always rubbed under her jawline but the cut on this it doesnt touch that part now.she always slightly rubs on the top part of her nostril but i put abit of sudocrem on before i turn her out and no rubbing,this has happened with every muzzle i have tried.

I use one and got a sheepskin girth sleeve and made 6 pieces to go on the back of the chin, I cut a small slit and thread it through the upright strap at the back,the only place I get a problem with is where the metal clip does up on the side,tried padding it but then the little b##### get,s it off,so suder cream and a break during the day when in seems to be working ok .They rub more when it,s wet I have found.

The new shires comfort with the wool lining doesn't have a metal clip its the same Velcro closure on the throat as over the head made a huge difference for us.

It looks like a vast improvement but I am not sure I am going to waste any more money on grazing muzzles, they always seem to find some place to rub:frown:

Just checked out the price........thinking.......Hmmm shall I?

Nothing is too good or expensive for my pony if it works and she is happy:giggle:

Might just pop out and buy one:giggle:

Last edited:
Grazing muzzles are such a personal thing aren't they and so dependent on the size and shape of head they fit to.

I'm sure I could find any number of people to sing the praises of the 4 muzzles I've tried before this latest one...which *touch wood* seems to be the right one for Joy.

Hope you find your answer soon x

Grazing muzzled are trial and error aren't they,its very much down to the individual I have been lucky malaika seems happiest and most comfortable in the cheaper bucket style ones mystique well only greenguard for her but did not work for malaika.I am impressed with the new shires though,love the cut and very pleased with the removal of the metal clip,was always a rub spot,also I was always paranoid it would get clipped onto the fence when she was rubbing or munching grass on the other side so that has been a huge sigh of relief for me and also no rubbing!

I like the look of the sheepskin padding. Might get one of those for my muzzle.

My concern with shires muzzles is that they come up very small. I am pretty sure that the x full would not fit my boy. I hate seeing grazing muzzles too tight, horses still need to be able to open their mouths fully and chew their food.

Malaika is 14.2/3 cob size bridle and she is in the full with nice room to eat,maybe you could ask them to measure the circumference of the x full before ordering?

I use a Best Friend Muzzle for Ben in draft size. I believe that this is the biggest muzzle you can buy and it comes up far bigger than the shires x full. My horse just has a very big head!

I had remembered you saying he was in a draft size,it may not be big enough then,shame more makers dont do the draft size as no offence to Ben,but having been around a lot of large cobs and draught crosses over the year they tend to be good doers,seems a lot of people/companies still think its ponies who need them.I wouldn't want the cob size on malaika would not give enough room the full is just right.

I use a Best Friend Muzzle for Ben in draft size. I believe that this is the biggest muzzle you can buy and it comes up far bigger than the shires x full. My horse just has a very big head!

Ah interesting ! As it's the x full that I've brought. I've gone with this as the price of it was worth a try compared the best friend one. The full size works - but for very short periods only and it's a bit to snug for my liking.

I've received it today, and I'm quite impressed with just how much padding is around in there ! Off to try it on my horse and see how it fits. If it doesn't work then I'll get a best friend one.

I brought mine from these people http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/Muzzles.html ordered Sunday night and with me today. Fab service

Last edited:
I bought Magic one and it hasn't rubbed him at all (previous muzzle I bought him rubbed him raw under his chin). Only downside is its a safety velcro one so they can get it off if they want to, I'm going to have to resort to putting a tie wrap around the velcro each morning on Magic's so it stays on!

Ziggy has had one for 3 weeks or so now and it doesn't rub either. It was tricky to fit because he needs a Full to fit around his nose but then it is too long, so we have a little supplementary strap under the chin now to stabilise it, but he can eat just fine (I can hear the trrrrk trrrk trrrk of him pulling clover) and he doesn't mind it any more and we both really like the padding.

You can see him modelling it on my recent "Grazing muzzle 1, Ziggy 0" thread.

newrider.com