Shire Horse Racing

I don't want to be a party poop but I hope it doesn't catch on. They are simply not bred to race like that. OK as a one off charity event.
I am also not keen on seeing Shires and clydesdales in outlines either knowing what a thick neck my cob has.
By all means do dressage but I would question the west and tear on joints on a horse that has issues due to weight anyway. Meaning draft breeds are more prone to leg related issues.

Aww think that will do brilliantly to raise the profile of the breed. Obviously it won't suddenly create a whole new industry of heavy horse racing.

I am going to try and go along. Its an evening Charity event for the Countryside Alliance. I just think it will be interesting to watch them thundering along.

Different people seem to be starting all sorts of events in the SE to promote heavy horses. I just love the things, so I am going to try and get to some of the events this summer.

I must be a bit odd really, I would think nothing of getting on and riding or handling a heavy horse but Thoroughbreds and warm bloods freak me out:smoke:

Last edited:
I must be a bit odd really, I would think nothing of getting on and riding or handling a heavy horse but Thoroughbreds and warm bloods freak me out:smoke:

DITTO !!!

Sounds a fun event Id love to go and watch it! dont forget your camera if you go !!!

as for worrying about the welfare of them I dont think for a start its going to be a new industry or the event going to effect them. After alot of thinking Id be more concerned about the ones at a certain trekking centre! they must get a dregree of wear and tear if they are out for 7hrs a day sometimes ( some at 4yrs old) galloping on beaches and hard ground and such like.

That surface in the picture looks very forgiving !

I don't want to be a party poop but I hope it doesn't catch on. They are simply not bred to race like that. OK as a one off charity event.
I am also not keen on seeing Shires and clydesdales in outlines either knowing what a thick neck my cob has.
By all means do dressage but I would question the west and tear on joints on a horse that has issues due to weight anyway. Meaning draft breeds are more prone to leg related issues.

Have to agree with this. Draught horses were meant to work slowly all day. Never do much trot and not designed to spend a lot of time in suspension.

They are not built for dresage, they are built for heavy draught. Why in god's name can't folk buy and use horses that are suitabel for the job they are brewd for rather than breeding 15hh Shetlands and racing draught horses.

Don't they do something similar up in Irvine at merry mass? (think that's what it's called) I'm sure the people from Cumbrian heavy horse trekking centre go along - seems like they all have a great time.
I used to ride a Clydesdale and he could certainly move!

newrider.com