Shetland Pony Nightmare!

shockblue

Oct 8, 2009
Derbyshire
www.ponytailsjewellery.co.uk
Crikey we had a very very lucky escape tonight at my yard.

I was with Maya in her field which is down the road from the main yard. Suddenly Maya wakes up and started staring wide eyed at the yard. I look over and notice that Ruddles the Shetland with the biggest attitude problem I have ever known is out of his paddock and is running up and down the perimeter of the yard. This is the 'dog walk' as the greyhound kennels walk the dogs on there around the yard and paddocks. The dog walk also leads straight out to the main gate of the yard which was open to a very fast trafficked road as the cars come of a bypass.

I think 'oh :poop:' , free maya, taking her 12ft rope with me. Jump in my car and drive down to the yard. See the little b**ger on the road! I was praying inside that if I drove my car at him, he would instinctively run back into the yard which he did :skull:

I then jumped out my car and closed the gate and tried to catch him but he wouldn't let me within 20ft of him. Grabbed a bucket of feed, no hope. So I drove him around the dog walk in a hope that he would go into the yard from the back. He didnt! He ran into a paddock with two geldings and luckily no one got kicked to much though he did keep biting them and going under them and bucking under thier bellies.

In the end I just had to wait blocking one route until I could effectively corner him in the yard.

I went round and checked all the fencing and it was intact. 4 strings of thick metal wire connected to manis but it did have a chunk of main hair on the bottom strand.

God it was so lucky I left work early today and saw him from across the field!

.......... And I was just looking at Shetlands to buy as a companion the other day......mmmm:bomb: my heart felt like it was going to fall down.

Glad you managed to avert disaster & all was okay. In defence of Shetlands - they're not all that bad - but many are too intelligent for their own good & certainly for our good!!

Heck - potential disaster averted then?! Darn those Shetties......hehehehe, they are such characters aren't they? I wouldn't be able to cope with one, potty old tbs I can cope with and cheeky connies but not one of those guys...........(tho I love their big hair!)

Glad it all worked out OK in the end, but what a scare.

I may be biased, but nasty Shetlands are not common. Cheeky, rather too intelligent for their own good sometimes, even naughty, but rarely downright nasty.

They are little buggers i had to wrestle mine to the ground practically to get her to lift her feet in the beginning she is ok now but they are not called Shitlands for nothing.

We have a mini sh&tland at our yard called minnie she squills like a pig and is so damn cute but what a total nightmare to own. I have seen the owner dragging the thing back from her field. She sit like a dog and will not budge really funny to watch:bounce:

Have to agree with Trewsers would rather have my nutty TB

Worse than sheep for getting out. One on our yard ate the post and rail ence and squeezed itself out.

lol, been there, done that, but luckily not on any main roads !

I am forever telling Bert how lucky he is that he has already been 'professionally' Gelded as I would be willing to do the job with my bare hands there and then when he gets up to mischief:giggle:

newrider.com