Shetland Driving - Mini v Standard

shelley8697

Aug 12, 2008
North Somerset
Hi folks, it me again!

Which would be better for driving, I want to show in harness, inhand and do some trials.

Would also possible like to have a pair?

Is it me or standard shetlands almost rare?:confused:

Photo-0241.jpg

no?

ask wally/fances they'll know :)

Last edited:
I would go with standards, minis can be driven and do well but standards are capable of so much more and really the way forward if you are wanting to compete in trials etc. Pairs are great and give you loads more power but you do need to get yourself competant and confident with a single first. Pairs are definitely a good idea for trials. Oh and they certainly are not rare, well nowhere I have lived anyway! :) PM Wally or Frances.

Is it me or standard shetlands almost rare?

Yes, they are rare, :), ones of any quality, that is why we started breeding our own, the fashion was going far too much over to the minis of ridiculous proportions.

If you get two big powerful standard guys they can pull a house down, agree with Esther, a big pair of standards for trials would be the way forwards.

You can see our lot at www.thordale.co.uk, or look at any of my posts with piucs of the driving ponies.

Wally, wish I lived closer!!!!!

Your website is inspirational!!!!!!

I would love a quality standard pair...... I'm used to driving my Welsh Section D as a single and have driven a friends Section D Pair which was a bit overwhelming - the power difference was unbelievable!

I really want to try driving a single shetland and a pair before I make my mind up, but finding some to try may be challenging as I don't wish to waste anyones time and would never just go and try some that are for sale.... as that is just dam right rude! :mad:

I have considered a Welsh Sec A???? but love shetlands and I would also like to show in hand and driven with a classic gig throught the summer if I can find one!

I've just been looking at the hartland carriages, they look really nice and lightweight.

Any advice would be more than welcome.....

The Hartland Shetland sport can be lifted by Frances and me into the back of a van without struggling. It's been a jolly good working vehicle, even in our salty climate the paint has remained good. Bellcrown paint is terrible.

The difference from a single Shetland to a pair is surprising. The kick you get when they jump into their collars is quite something.

If you want to show seriously the person to go to for a Shetland/small pony vehicle is Barry Wheelwright in Birmingham, he is the best small vehilce maker/restorer in the country to my way of thinking.

This is a 1906 vehicle restored by Barry about 5 years ago, it was found in a big house in Warwickshire.
15May-008770.jpg

Last edited:
2005_0524_091112AA.jpg

This is my lad, full up standard Shetland, bombing through a water hazard when we used to do driving trials. My friend drove a pair of black Shetlands, and we always had great days out! He certainly could compete against anyone, and even in his retirement he still does the occasional pleasure drive and is currently teaching lots of youngsters to drive! I must admit I had far more fun driving him than any of the other turnouts (mainly Section Ds) that I have driven, he is such a character. I hope you find a good pony, you will have a great time!

Andrew being the Bog, in bog standard :D :D ;) dear boy that he is. He might have both legs down one hole in his knickers, but he's never put a foot wrong.

There does seem to be many broken to harness standard shetlands for sale at the moment. I could break it myself as I have done my 2 Sec D's....... but was hoping to start running!

Are your Shettie barefoot or with shoes?

I did have a little wobble this morning about selling my Sec D to change to driving shetlands full time. I don't know why, don't enjoy riding anymore.... always loved shetlands and driving!

How would you describe the fun you have driving your shetties v riding?

Some are shod, some don't have shoes. It depends on the pony and how much work theya re doing and what they are taking part in.

The best fun i have had is driving my shetlands. I have had quite a few of different sizes from mini up, but you cant beat a standard. My two are actually bigger at 43", with the palomino having a touch of welsh in him. I think the difference is you can share the pleasure with the family or friends, and they dont have to be really horsey either (you convert them later to be top grooms!)

Andrew being the Bog, in bog standard :D :D ;) dear boy that he is. He might have both legs down one hole in his knickers, but he's never put a foot wrong.

Well Polo has awful knock knees when he is standing but heck, he can do flying changes on every stride, there is definitely a place for the 'bog' ones as well as the beautiful ones :D

I have had fantastic fun with my shetland pair. Mine are barefoot at the moment as not doing much work but they were shod when they were competing.

Now this was an argument I had the other day with a breeder.

All he could see was conformation and didn't care two hoots about temperament.

We want temperament above conformation, beauty is as beauty does.

Andrew would not do well in the in hand ring, but as a working pony, who does RDA and driven competitions he does very nicely thank you.

We have the most stunningly beautiful ponies, we call them the "super models" but they don't have a brain cell between them....sadly that includes the stallion, he's a dear boy from his toes to his nose, such a kind gentle soul, but he couldn't think his way out of a wet paper bag. Andy and Charlie give me more trouble than ever the stallion does. :D :D

I have not had moblie phones flying in my derection, but the feet have on more than one occasion. ;)

She is the only one who has ever offered to kick me, we have found out that she is only like that when she's in foal, when she's not she's a delight.

newrider.com