Shedding

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Who else is finding their horse is shedding summer coat like mad? It was loosening a bit the other week, but ever since the rain this week it's coming out like mad - at this rate I'll be clipping in September! he dapples on his quarters are almost gone as his darker coat comes in & the witer silver hairs are appearing on his legs. Summer's nearly over :(

Dare I say I'm actually looking forward to cooler days, I'm totally sick and tired of trying to beat off the flies every damn time we hack, they make what should be a pleasant ride a right royal pain in the butt and not a lot of fun!
Yes Belle is shedding her summer coat, but not massively fast yet.

I'm looking forward t the cooler weather too, but not the dark nights, stabling and mud :(

Yes and I clipped September last year.
I can already see the winter floof because she changes colour.

Mattie and Charlie have racehorse coats at the moment but they are both shedding.

I'll be interested to see how Charlie's coat comes in. He was rugged for his first winter, but I'm going to keep him naked and see what happens and whether he still has a TB coat in winter or whether the Highland X Cob mum comes out in the floof!

Reactions: Huggy
Jess shed a bit for a couple of days a few weeks back but not much of anything since, Dan is looking a bit scruffy at the moment so he probably is (if I took a brush to him :oops:). It's as soon as the days start getting shorter.

Raf is the same as Jess, I thought he'd started shedding a couple of weeks ago but then it stopped, seems to have restarted a little bit again now. But he is a Cushings horse and I don't know how much that will affect his shedding pattern. I want him clipping before hound exercises start in a couple of weeks anyway, so he doesn't get too warm. One of the eventers has been clipped because she was getting too warm even in her summer coat, so I think it will be ok to do Raf.

Dare I say I'm actually looking forward to cooler days, I'm totally sick and tired of trying to beat off the flies every damn time we hack, they make what should be a pleasant ride a right royal pain in the butt and not a lot of fun!
Yes Belle is shedding her summer coat, but not massively fast yet.
I agree, I don’t know why but this summer the heat has really got to me! I’m so looking forward to Autumn

Peanut is ginger a little bit but is very fine anyway.

Eddie has never been rugged but I will this year as I need him dry to carry on the training

You have another?

The lady who owns my ex share horse is very ill, so a few of us are looking after her 3 while she is away (which is going to be several months I think) - I do the weekends. I use to ride the bay horse here until I bought Harvey

i-zmpZHFG-XL.jpg

@GaryB they look a lovely bunch! I particularly like the grey on the right
They are! Bug is the bay (TBxWelsh) ex intermediate eventer, now retired (although only for lack of a rider)

Riley the middle one (hes a native something Dartmoor, or Exmoor or something like that). He is 2 so just had groundwork

Monty is the grey. He can't be ridden due to wither damage as a foal, but the owner and I broke him to harness

Took Dolly's sweet itch rug off today (first time for 3 days) to give her some TLC and put a new SI rug on...half her coat came off with the rug! I think this is the earliest I can remember it happening with her. Miller on the other hand still has a smooth as glass summer coat with not a sign of shedding - I did wonder is it also connected to age? Or possibly breeding? not a clue actually lol!

@Jane&Ziggy it's meant to be linked to daylight hours rather than temperature. Here it does feel like the nights are suddenly drawing in fast, probably more than they really are because it's been cloudy. It does feel early for his coat to be changing this much though.

newrider.com