Sheath cleaning.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'll be honest I've never cleaned ales before but it looks a little crusty and a bit puffy and so I think it needs cleaning.

I've got the vet coming to do his teeth in a couple of weeks and as he is always sedated for that I think that's a good time to give it a clean.

What do I need? I have a bucket and some rubber gloves but what sort of lotion or potion do I need?

Any tips for me to make it easier than I think it's going to be would be greatly appreciated!

I use the sheath cleaner that you buy but it is also good to buy some KY Jelly to loosen the crust up a bit before hand , I buy boots own brand, its a bit embarrassing going up to the counter with it, well for a second I was embarrassed and then I thought lots of people must buy it lol some people use baby oil but as baby oil brings me out in a rash I don't use it in case he has a reaction to it?? Yes a bucket of water and gloves is a must. You have to get right up inside the sheath as that is where the thick black stuff hides.

Reactions: Trewsers
If he's not too sticky you can also use plain water. I use just water for Ziggy and sheath cleaner for Mattie, whose gunk seems to make harder crusts. I use a bit of baby oil afterwards.

Neither of mine need sedating and Mattie enjoys it almost as much as @Flipo's Mum 's big boy!

My vets advocate warm water amd no chemicals. And YES.... when he's sedated he'll be very.....um..... "saggy" and it should be a doddle to clean.

I won't reveal what I use as we are in another universe when it comes to the amount of stuff I'm dealing with but if he's not bad, definitely warm water and sheath cleaner, or baby wipes are really useful but expect to use a fair few!
You might find he likes it! Mine loves it like Jane says but hates you fiddling with his willy specifically when I shove my finger in there to pop a bean out. I tend to do it when he's sedated after the farrier so that he drops his willy out as so much easier than having to go up there looking for it, otherwise he's very happy for me to do it when he's fully awake. Much to my dismay.
Enjoy!

Thank-you for all the replies everyone.

I'm sorry to have to ask this question but how do you get the water in there, can you use a sponge gently?

I clean both our boys but not too often as I'm worried about disturbing the balance of good/bad bacteria or whatever. The thing that fascinates me is that when I stick my hand up Raf's sheath there is no room in there, yet I can get past my wrist inside Jack and have loads of room for manoevre :confused: TBH I'm never sure how to tackle Raf's - doing Jack is a much more satisfying affair.

Raf didn't used to be keen but he almost likes it now. Jack almost lifts his hind leg to allow you easy access.

I use a commercial sheath cleaner too and can put the hose into Jack's sheath to rinse it out (set to a gentle flow of course :D )

ETA I put the sheath cleaner on my glove (I use gloves because of the smell but mostly to keep the horsey areas as clean as poss). The cleanser acts as a lubricant which allows you to rummage around and dig out any gunk with your fingers. I use a sponge to rinse Raf but don't put it inside, I just try to squeeze the water into the sheath and go round it with a damp glove. I'm never sure whether that's ok or not. As I say, Jack is much easier.

Last edited:
Since the vet will be there to do the teeth, let the vet clean his sheath and show you what to do the next time.

The vet can also check for other reasons as to why the sheath might be swollen. Needing cleaned is likely the reason but since the vet will be there anyway, make use of him:)

Cleaning the sheath is the easy part, it's looking for beans in the urethra that can be difficult.

I use tepid water, KY jelly or Excalibur, a clean white wash cloth and wear surgical gloves.

I use two gallons of warm water per horse. That way I have plenty of clean water to work with.

Well. I was told a while a go never really to touch soxs as it unset the balance. So I never did. Until he ended up getting fly strike one year! Don't ask me how. Only sox could do that. Vet did say it is possible for them to get fly strike.
I was told just to use water really. Erm.. gloves of course. Warm water and a number.of disposable Jay cloths also I try to do it when no one is at the yard. It's not the best thing to be doing when people are around! Especially if your horse enjoys it!!!

I used to clean Ben's sheath about once every 6 months, but I have left it for the last few years and it seems to be absolutely fine. I think that I would only touch it now if there was a problem.

Thank-you everyone. I'm going to give it a go in the field over the weekend see if he will let me touch the area.

If not I'll wait until the vet is here and arm myself with all the supplies you have all mentioned. I don't even think it is swollen to be honest as it looks normal really I just thought it may be

Been terrified to touch Jack's since he had his bacteria transplant. He did get a plain water clean when he was sedated for his teeth last October time but I haven't been near it since.

I knew I'd find this somewhere, here you go Ale

1.) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbors, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.

2.) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).

3.) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions ;-)

4.) Now introduce your horse to Mr Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick. The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Mr Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it. Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back til you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using. If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.

5.) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it ;-)

6.) As you and Mr Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it . No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.

7.) When Mr Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but IME the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma. So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger. This may require a little patience from BOTH Mr Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanant damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.

8.) Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, IME. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.

9.) Ta-da, you are done! Say, "Good horsie" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...

10.) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date ;-) and of course, there is that one FINAL step...

11.) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.)

Now, go thou forth and clean that Part :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Russet
newrider.com