Sheath cleaning question

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Hi All:eek:

Well when i first went shopping for Ozzy i saw a bottle of something called sheath cleanser on the shelf in Robinsons. I took a deep breath carried on walking and told myself it must be for something else not the obvious.

Today i have noticed that it may have been for the obvious. Ozzy had his bits out earlier as he does :D and i noticed there may have been a crusty build up on it :eek: :eek: :eek:........OMG ha ha everyone is going to laugh at this post......

Anyway, does anyone clean there geldings sheath? Is this stuff on his bits normal? If you do clean what do you use, should i buy the special cleanser.

Thanks guys :)

Got this from another forum

The Sheath Cleaning Song
Author Unknown
Sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father" from camp song

How's it hangin'?
So much cleaner.

Aren't you glad I
washed your wiener?

I'll admit it's
kinda creepy

that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.
It was gunky.

It felt icky.
It smelled funky.

It was cruddy,
it was crusty--

when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an
hour of toilin'

and of squirtin'
baby oil in,

you're as fresh there
as a daisy.

Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!​

I too have only just discovered this lovely job - someone at the yard demonstrated for me - we just used water and a hand up the *****woopsie***** - I was scared of hurting my horse so had to get someone to show me. We just basically probed about and pulled out all the bits and balls of dirt that were up there - if he had 'got it out' it would have been so much easier to do, but I'm told there isn't a way of making them do that - if anyone knows any different please tell! What's this about using baby oil though? I'm not sure I've got my technique right so look forward to seeing some more practical replies!

Sheath cleaner is a waste of money imo - just use warm water or if you really need something, a tiny amount of baby shampoo but make sure you rinse properly after.

Baby oil helps to loosen it and stop the dry build up.

I believe there is a way of encouraging 'it' to come out! Rubbing the belly near sheath apparantly but I have never succeeded in doing it.

Friend has to have the Vet out and sedates the horse as he has an ongoing problem 'up there' to clean it and it always drops out.:)

scoot a generous dod of sheath cleaner up there, then get your hand in and have a good shoogle about - then I bung the hose up to rinse everything off.

While all this is happening Arnie stands with a big happy smile and a droopy lip and occasionally lifts his leg out the way to give me better access:eek:

Hi, when Ed had the dentist/vet out a few weeks ago, he was sedated for this. His wotsit looked terrible, so i asked the vet if he could help :D:D Did a wonderful job with just water, sponge and plastic glove!!

However, 4 weeks on it looks just as bad :confused: I thought it was a twice yearly job, but it looks like I need to do it far more often. It really is quite disguisting :mad:

I've noticed that my boys always flops out when he's glued to a hay net and being brushed - obviously relaxed....

Oh great!
I didn't want a stallion because they're all mentalists.
I didn't want a mare because they get hormonal.
Now I'm going off geldings!
They don't advertise this job when they're selling horses do they:p

one of the first things to do with a gelding who is acting strange is to wash his bits and bobs! :D :D They can get sore and a quick wash and brush up can work miracles behaviour wise.

At least you have not been told by the vet to massage your stallions tackle......I told the vet if he was winding me up his days would be numbered. The poor stallion got kicked in his soft portions and the whole thing swelled to the size of a football, bigger in fact.

If you have animals I am afraid nothing is sacred! :D :D

BTW I did not massage anything, I cold hosed it! and kept it plastered with aqueous cream.

Just read Mr Hand, was eating my cheerios :eek:

I am going to get a bucket and sponge ready, i will then go on wotsit watch when it comes out of its horsey house i am going to swoop and give it a clean. I dont fancy the feeling round inside option my arms are short. Usually the sight of a feed bucket does the trick :).

I used to clean my oldies bits, with the trusted sheath cleaner..

it's not a good idea to use products such as baby shampoo/oil as these are not designed to use inside horses genitals, and could cause a nasty reaction.. Is it not hard enough to get near a painful cut on pony's leg, than to try and get near a hot swollen sheath, all because we skipped the price of something designed for the job?

what I did - get a couple of surgical gloves (well fitting ones) and sheath cleaner, pour some in hand and gently work hand up into the sheath and massage it (it does not need to come out), keep adding SC, until you feel the smegma coming loose, and then gently get the bits out... Refrain from bringing the bits close to your nose, believe me, it doesnt smell nice... Keep repeating until most or all the smegma is out.. rinse with warm water and a sterile (new) sponge... then you can smear a little of the SC inside to soften the sheath, and have it more comfortable for the boy...

I dont do S's sheath for the simple fact, Im not good enough or quick enough to dodge his flying back feet.... Anytime he's had it out, it looks clean anyway.

I used to clean my oldies bits, with the trusted sheath cleaner..

it's not a good idea to use products such as baby shampoo/oil as these are not designed to use inside horses genitals, and could cause a nasty reaction.. Is it not hard enough to get near a painful cut on pony's leg, than to try and get near a hot swollen sheath, all because we skipped the price of something designed for the job?

what I did - get a couple of surgical gloves (well fitting ones) and sheath cleaner, pour some in hand and gently work hand up into the sheath and massage it (it does not need to come out), keep adding SC, until you feel the smegma coming loose, and then gently get the bits out... Refrain from bringing the bits close to your nose, believe me, it doesnt smell nice... Keep repeating until most or all the smegma is out.. rinse with warm water and a sterile (new) sponge... then you can smear a little of the SC inside to soften the sheath, and have it more comfortable for the boy...

I dont do S's sheath for the simple fact, Im not good enough or quick enough to dodge his flying back feet.... Anytime he's had it out, it looks clean anyway.

This is what I do, just have a glove and keep applying the SC over and over.

My gelding truely is dirty :rolleyes: He can have his sheath out and it look cleaner, then 3 weeks later it's minging again. Whereas hubby's gelding only has to be done probably about once a year if your lucky !

My boy has a dirty mind to (the horse NOT hubby!), he'll happily stand and fall asleep when it's being done. Oh and when you do it, make sure there are no unrelated men around ! The jokes will be flying ! :rolleyes:

Ha ha,

Ruskii, was reading your thread and wondered where it would end

...He can have his sheath out and it look cleaner, then 3 weeks later it's minging again. Whereas hubby's.....

Obviously my boy Ed is more of a dirty sort and I can see it's going to be a monthly routine. Yuk.

but I'm told there isn't a way of making them do that - if anyone knows any different please tell!

Clicker training :D

(a) clicker trained horses tend to get quite relaxed during games and drop and
(b) once dropped, you can attach a cue ;)

ladies and gentlement cast your votes please!

I am very confused about the wisdom of sheath cleaning. I have heard from two schools of thought, one says clean only if it is a problem as cleaning can cause an imbalance in normal bacteria and cause infection. The other school says clean regularly as if you don't the resultant build up of smegma can cause an infection. People in both schools of thought have been vets.

So I have decided to clean as if there is a problem I don't want the first time to be when he is already uncomfortable. I posted about this somewhere else and had call from a friend who is a vet and gelding owner telling me I shouldn't.

Nothing is ever straight forward in horse ownership!

We only clean if they are getting clingons in the winter coat or they are smelly or acting as if they are a bit crusty. Certainly don't make a regular thing of it.

My personal view is

check regularly
clean when needed

thing is most people don't check, they just clean. And you can't just inspect visually for the "bean", you do need to feel for it.

Well, thanks so much - never thought I'd be posting on a site about removing smeg from willies! Having read 'Mr Hand' I now realise I didn't go nearly far enough in my travels and I'm now eager to go on a quest for the mystical 'bean'. Lucky horse didn't seem to mind - in fact he stood with his hind legs slightly spread while I wiggled about in there.

Think I'll follow the advice of checking regularly and only cleaning when necessary, can imagine it must be very uncomfortable to have lots of dirty hard bits rubbing about up there.

As for clicker training to make him 'drop' - that would be a fantastic trick. I can already imagine the comments of certain other people on the yard though ... :D

I am very confused about the wisdom of sheath cleaning. I have heard from two schools of thought, one says clean only if it is a problem as cleaning can cause an imbalance in normal bacteria and cause infection. The other school says clean regularly as if you don't the resultant build up of smegma can cause an infection. People in both schools of thought have been vets.

I think it depends on the horse (totally useless answer, huh?). With his old owner, Matt totally hated having his sheath cleaned; it got done once a year under veterinary sedation. After RI bought him, she started doing it regularly, twice a month or so. The first time, he was awful about it and his penis was horribly red and irritated from the gunk. No wonder he was awful to clean, he was sore. When regular cleanings started, he was fine.

newrider.com