Sharer issues again.

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I've been looking for a sharer for my cob for a while (since October 2009) I had one person who shared him for a month but she wasn't really suitable and it ended with him getting injured. Then over the summer I had a friend ride him and someone else ride him a couple of times but then told me she was too busy and couldn't ride him anymore.
Since then I have had a couple of people come to see him but they haven't really been suitable.
I have ridden him a few times but this summer I want to concentrate on my youngster and he makes my back ache so i can't go very far on him.

I am at a loss as what to do now, I would prefer a sharer for him, we have talked about selling him and we have almost done it, but when it comes time to put the ad up we back out.
I have thought about offering him for loan but we are not comfortable with having him go somewhere else unless I know the person really well, I have a small paddock with it's own access that he could go in and be loaned from where he is, but I can't really afford to buy another saddle for him at the moment.
I really don't know what to do now, I can't get anyone to share him, I've had ads up on the net and in the local tack shop that has a board but haven't had anyone reply.
He is a lovely horse and I am really not sure why I am not getting any responses :frown:

I've asked for help on the adds before, but on the one for the shop I took a different route thinking it might attract peoples attention more.
Tried to put another ad up today on the net where I got the majority of my answers fromaq but the price as gone up

Personally I wouldnt share someones horse and would always prefer to loan or buy.

However nice the owner is I would always think what if I did something different to them or didnt agree with something they did. Sharing I think is quite difficult when it comes to horses.

Maybe you would consider putting him on loan within the local area so you can keep and eye on him.

I know it would feel hard but imagine how nice it would be for him to get out and about instead of standing around.

Unfortunately unless the loaner would be prepared to buy him a saddle as I cannot afford to buy a saddle to send with him as I need the saddle he uses for my youngster.

I know there are people who share horses as I have a fantastic sharer for my pony.

My own experience and from NR I am probably not alone is that many adult RS learners would like to stop riding lessons and start to share but there are lots of obstacles.

Even novices like my OH who has been riding 4 years and canters comfortably would not be confident of going out on his own to try a strange horse. And if you do go to an interview, the owner may not like it that you have never ridden on your own before. And the RS rider may well have no experience catching, grooming or tacking up a horse.

You may well find a sharer or two, friends perhaps, if you are willing to contemplate a first time sharer, offer some guidance and go out in search of them. You could put up notices locally asimed at this sort of first time sharer, or ask riding instructors locally if they have any students ready to share?

There is age too. I was rejected as a sharer by local riders; they didnt want an old woman with whom they had nothing in common. You could advertise for a pensioner who might like the chance to ride again? But didnt have the stamina or money to own a horse of their own.

I disagree about sharing being unwise. My own share was offered me when I was convalescent and it has done me the world of good. The owner takes all the decisions about feed, clipping, rugs, health etc. Meanwhile I ride a nice horse who likes being ridden by me and gets the exercise needed - just what you are looking for.

If you live in an area where there is plenty of grazing and most riders prefer to own their own - or loan - I think you have to look for quite specific groups for whom a share is absolutely right - I mean the first timers, the elderly, the less fit - or a parent with a child rider and offer them the instruction and encouragement they will need - or that they will need for the first month or so. It is a person to person thing, rather than your animal.

I know an older lady - an experienced rider looking for a share but unfortunately she isnt near you. But I wish you luck in fiding someone similar.

There are good sharers out there (I have been one of them before!) but it is hard to find exactly the right combination of sharer and horse.

Can you give it a little while longer? I agree that loaning would be difficult if you don't have a saddle. Could you save up and get a cheap (but fitting!) saddle so he could go out on loan? It might save you from having to make the much more drastic decision of selling him?

What about advertising him as "To share/poss loan/poss buy" - then it could possibly give someone more incentive to come and see him plus you could get to know the type of person they are so you might feel happier letting him go but you are not initially committing to anything?

Just a thought :)

(PS That's how I found Cherry :D)

Unfortunately unless the loaner would be prepared to buy him a saddle as I cannot afford to buy a saddle to send with him as I need the saddle he uses for my youngster.

I know there are people who share horses as I have a fantastic sharer for my pony.

If he was offered lwvtb or long term loan then personally I would buy him a saddle if I was to loan him. I would then keep it or offer it to you if he was returned.

It's so strange that I see so many forum posts about horse owners struggling to find sharers. I have been looking for a horse to share in the Epping area for 4 months now and absolutley zip. I also know of several people at the school where I ride that are in the same position. I think maybe horse owners are put off by people that admit they are still having lessons, no matter how advanced those lessons might be.
It would be nice to know what others think...

i wanted to come ride him, but i just cant get to grips with driving - especially on my own :cry: i can manage to the yard and back, and just about feel ok going to work and back as its such a familiar route, but thats it. so much for starting driving opening up my independence and freedom! (cant see me ever driving xander to the chase by myself :frown:).

he's a really lovely lad though, and even though i hadnt a clue what i was doing as so out of practise and even then it was confused english/naturalish attempt, he was really good to me. i dont know why you cant find someone locally - no chores, i'd jump at it if i had the time, was more local, and didnt have my own!

try touting at the local RS!

Same position here in Bristol. I couldn't get anyone to come help with two youngsters, didn't have to be knowledgeable was more than willing to
let them learn 'horse care' as we go along.....I am so laid back I am
almost horizontal, as long as the people are reliable.

I do have a young girl who comes down, she disappeared for a while
with the bad weather but came back with the Sunshine, lol, we did talk
about it and it seems to have sorted itself now for the moment so we
will see how it goes, makes no difference really as I am quite used to
doing everything by myself, if we got thro' this Winter without any help
I am sure we will manage the Summer:wink:

newrider.com