Shall I put her in or out when the hunt goes past?

G

Guest 2

Right we have got the hunt dates now, there is one next Wednesday.
I am now a bit indecisive on what to do with her.

Originally I was going to put her into my friends big field with her horse for the day (as they get on really well), however due to unforeseen circumstances she has had to send her back. So that ruins my plan :rolleyes:

Second choice is to leave her in the stable for the day. I had her in the stable the other day and she was being really naughty and basically trying to get her legs over the stable door and trying to get out.

Or should I just leave her in her field? Last time when she was in her field and we didn't know the hunt was going past she was so excited that she escaped into another pony's field and jumped and snapped a few fences and basically this pony bullied her really bad to the extent that no one could get her out the field as this other pony was cornering her and kicking her etc.

If I left her out this time I would make sure it was all really secure and electrified for her (not that an excited mental horse is going to take much notice of electric fence)

Anyway what do you think I should do with her?
Ideas please :)

I'd keep her in, she can't do herself much damage in a box (I'll probably stand corrected on that one but thats my opinion anyway!). If it were either of mine, I'd keep them in, knowing what a dafty our oldie is, he damaged his suspensory ligament a while back when our farmer was rounding sheep up - he got so excited about it all - lord only knows what he'd do if a hunt came past!!!!

In for sure. Horses dont respect fencing in fields when they are in blind panic mode. Much safer in the stable....:)

If its poss id take her out out dor the day..like in a trailer and go to the beach for the day or sumthing...if not poss though id keep her in and supervise her.. or get her a lick or sumthing to do to distract her :)

I've always kept mine in until we were sure that the hunt were out of the vicinity. If your horse is trying to climb over the stable door can you shut the top door briefly just while the hunt are there?

do yours all honestly react this violently when people ride past?

if it was a sponsered ride would your responses be different?

i am intrigued, not wanting to pick a fight or argue or slate anyone but we have never ever had this issue to the lengths some of you have!

yes they run around and snort for a few minutes, but they still respect fences (and people) and its excitement rather than panic as has been suggested.

even hacking past them, getting caught up in same direction, or opposite they are normal and sane

sounds like we are lucky :confused:

well last time you were furious with what heppend when she was out and the hunt passed, so im surprised you're even asking

If its poss id take her out out dor the day..like in a trailer and go to the beach for the day or sumthing...if not poss though id keep her in and supervise her.. or get her a lick or sumthing to do to distract her :)

Same here - Can you pop down to a beach for the day?

well last time you were furious with what heppend when she was out and the hunt passed, so im surprised you're even asking

Yes that was because they didn't tell us they were coming so we didn't even know until it was too late and I was at college. And she escaped into another horses field and got bullied really badly and kicked etc. And also her field was split in to sections so she had just ploughed all throught it, and if I kept her out when they went past in future she would have the whole of the field to roam around in. Plus she had only just recovered from an injury a few weeks before hand!
Therefore I am asking because I want peoples opinions on what to do if it was their horse given the circumstances and what has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1992
If its poss id take her out out dor the day..like in a trailer and go to the beach for the day or sumthing...if not poss though id keep her in and supervise her.. or get her a lick or sumthing to do to distract her

Same here - Can you pop down to a beach for the day?
Lovely idea however we haven't got the transport and I don't drive yet. She has a salt lick that she adores though :p

I think I may just keep her in its much easier, I just hope she doesn't have any tricks up her sleeve :rolleyes:

Are you the one who posted about the "stupid hunt"? If he being out caused a problem-I'd keep her in, surely?:confused:

i am intrigued, not wanting to pick a fight or argue or slate anyone but we have never ever had this issue to the lengths some of you have!

yes they run around and snort for a few minutes, but they still respect fences (and people) and its excitement rather than panic as has been suggested.

even hacking past them, getting caught up in same direction, or opposite they are normal and sane

Ah but my sane old 23yo who will occasionally give a quick glance if there are horses going past turns into a loonatic if he even heres a horn with some hounds.

He doesn't even have to see them and he's off on one! When i actually took him hunting he took one look at the hounds and immediately started shaking.

A lot of horses have a different reaction to a hunt than you general hackers or fun ride.

But i have always kept them in so i tink you should defo do the same, specially after last time.

I would say IN definetely!!! Every yard I've been at the horses have been kept in while the hunt go past and I've always heard horrible stories of horses escpaing/hurting them selves if left out while the hunt go past.

Unless the hunt is actually coming into your yard I would say keep them in but see if you can get someone to watch all your horses?

I honestly don't believe that any of ours would bother that much, they do get excited by the horns and the hounds and grow at least a hand but I don;t think that they would be destructive. However, it is yard policy that horses are in when the hunt are in our area to stop any possible accidents.

newrider.com