Shadow's eye - final update and i'm chuffed to bits

We had a real struggle getting the dye in to the eye as he just wouldn't open it, and kept drawing his eye in :frown: Took two people to put the drops in too.
Luckily tonight, I've managed to give him his final dose of the night, and have arrangements in place for tomo so he gets all 4 doses.
He's to be in whilst the suns out and can go out when it's behind the clouds or at night (difficult over night due to shifts, really want him in before the sun comes out), so wil have to work out a plan of action.

I've just gone through this with Mac - he had a cluster of 6 tiny ulcers which healed and then one large one. A five penny piece size ulcer though - that is big. Having had an ulcer myself in my eye I could sort of understand how Mac was feeling, at least I knew why I was having drops put in but Mac fought against it.

Poor Shadow - I hope he soon recovers.

I've just gone through this with Mac - he had a cluster of 6 tiny ulcers which healed and then one large one. A five penny piece size ulcer though - that is big. Having had an ulcer myself in my eye I could sort of understand how Mac was feeling, at least I knew why I was having drops put in but Mac fought against it.

Poor Shadow - I hope he soon recovers.

Did you adapt a fly mask for him? I'm thinking of doing one for Shadow.

I had to get some blinkers for Mac to stop him rubbing his eye. My vet recommended these http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/33. I phoned Treehouse on a Friday afternoon and spoke to a very helpful lady, I needed to know if they could easily be adapted to fit Mac as his head is far bigger than a racehorse's. I did order some saying I needed them urgently and they arrived first post next morning. They were fairly expensive but I felt it was worth it to prevent any more damage to the eye. I had to make some drastic alterations to get them to fit and then when he tore his eyelid I had to take the cup off one side and sew it on the other side to completely cover the eye. He had to wear them for some time and they are virtually destroyed now. At least they did the trick though.

I tried to add a picture of Mac in his blinkers but I've already added in my thread about Mac's eye so can't do it again.

I hope this is is useful.

Weve just been dealing with a small ulcer in my friends TB eye, being partially blind we think she walked into something but it also means she hates having her eyes fiddled with. Covering the other eye while putting the drops in helps and also getting her head down low. She has a Cashel fly mask which the vet said we were to leave her in - it has some uv protection.

Hope hes feeling better soon xx

I forgot to say Mac is supposed to wear a fly mask all the time he is turned out, he has a UV protection one to prevent sun damage to the pupil but the problem is getting him to keep it on.

We had to have an eye mask on Josh when he was having eye treatment and for the rest of that summer as the Rays even when cloudy aggrivated them.
he was the same re the drops a right royal pain to get them in

I've mannaged to thread up his lycra flymask in his headcollar and he's just gone out for a couple of hours at the back of the yard. The improvement in just the swelling is amazing, his eye lids are virtually normal, and he's now opening his eye.
He's not too fussy now about the drops, and I can get it over his lower eye lid (couldn't find it yesterday, it was that swollen), I have another video, i'm pretty pleased with this progress so far :smile:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46498328@N08/9437350534/

It's very windy today, but a lot fresher and more overcast. He's blinking a lot more due to the wind blowing straight in his face. He'd just had his drops, and he's very unhappy about it now, and protests too :frown:
On the other hand, he's so much more himself, and fed up of being stabled during the day when his friends are out. I think he'll be doing much the same until at least Thursday, going to speak to the Vet tomo as well, as might call him out again to makesure healing is going along ok, I want it to heal properly before I relax again.

These were taken last tuesday, just as a comparison:
picture.php

picture.php

And now:
picture.php

picture.php

I'd say we're half way through recovery :smile:

I just can't believe ghow quick the swelling subsided, as I was really concerned about it on Tuesday. He'd pulled his eye back so much, all we could find was the flesh around it..
Now, i'm seeing a lot more of it, and i'm feeling a bit happier.

newrider.com