Sexism in the equine vet world

Interesting but I have to say I don't care if the attending vet is male or female as long as they treat both my horse and myself with respect and know what they are doing.

Reactions: Trewsers
Yep same here. Male female whatever the job,as long as you can get it done.
Although I have to say lol I'd rather look at my farriers backside than any woman's !! [emoji12] [emoji6]

Sexism is alive and well EVERYWHERE so this does not surprise me. Some people are just idiots. I had a male midwife - Colin, his name was - give birth to my son - there was a point when I might have been a bit self-conscious at that, but turns out, not in the throes of labour!

Although I have to say lol I'd rather look at my farriers backside than any woman's !!
emoji12.png
emoji6.png

Lol - I had to keep an eye on my trimmer's backside today - not because I am any way attracted by it but because Scully was intent on biting it!:eek:

The practice I used had three vets; 2 male, 1 female. I'd have had any of them out.

I'm not surprised at this though, I agree that sexism is everywhere. I see it in my workplace all the time and recently I read a big article about how there are still huge pay gaps between men and women. It pisses me off. I've put in a lot of work, why should I get paid any less than a man doing the same job, I'm single, I don't have a "nice man to support me", I have to (and to be honest I would rather) support myself but that is being made more difficult for me.

Reactions: squidsin
Is there a difference when it comes to intervention? The dentists at our practice differ - the woman working more slowly and less proactive. And after a bit one finds a vet or doctor or dentist who shares one's preferred approach. Our excellent vet (most visits) was a woman and our yard owner pretty non-interventional. I credit her with having kept my share alive and happy for an extra two or three years.

I think any difference in approach or treatment is more likely to be due to training or experience rather than the sex of the vet. I tend to approach one of the vets only because they were the one that did the 5 stage vetting on Scully for me and they have the most experience of her. They have attended her on several of her mini colic attacks and are now happy to talk me through treatment over the phone - having said that I was very impressed with the thoroughness of another vet from the same practice that is newly qualified - the end result has always been the same, a check she is not impacted and a couple of jabs and all is well.

Is there a difference when it comes to intervention? The dentists at our practice differ - the woman working more slowly and less proactive. And after a bit one finds a vet or doctor or dentist who shares one's preferred approach. Our excellent vet (most visits) was a woman and our yard owner pretty non-interventional. I credit her with having kept my share alive and happy for an extra two or three years.

I believe there is in human obs and gynae, but not sure if this applies to the veterinary world as well!

Reactions: Jayne
It is shocking that men are still uniformly paid more than women. And as Jane said the other day, women are far more likely than men to apply for jobs for which they're over-qualified whereas men will apply for jobs for which they're under-qualified. Somewhere along the way, women's confidence in their abilities seems to take a knock, but when, and why, considering girls consistently outperform boys in school these days?

It is shocking that men are still uniformly paid more than women

That is not true in the Civil Service, men & women at the same grade in the same locality with the same service are paid the same.

However the jobs they do can be quite different!

The article said that the discrimination came almost entirely from women who seemed to regard male vets as somehow in charge even if they were not. Is this a hangover from Victorian values I wonder?

Shocking. Our vets are owned buy a joint partnership of a man and a woman, the man is great and I am very fond of him and know him well as generally ask for a senior vet after a few bad experiences with juniors and the female owner doesn't do call outs as a rule, but when Bo was really bad she came out and although she ended up putting him down I thought she was fantastic and would use her again in a heart beat. All their senior vets are also female, perhaps by design as the male owner is a bit of a flirt, but they are all bloomin brilliant.
I'm a qualified mechanic, I worked bloody hard for it and fought a lot of sexist comments and opinions, still do to some extent though I'm not actually mechanicing any more but still work in maintenance. I find it tough getting jobs in mechanical fields, it seems there is always a guys there with similar quals who pips me to the post.

Most of our vets are male with about 4 female vets. I would only request a vet if they have been with us from the start. Eg the vet came out because he was lame and after a period of box rest I would expect the same vet to come back. As long as my horse is treated quick and with respect I do not care. I go to my vets for help and advice not to be sexist

That is not true in the Civil Service, men & women at the same grade in the same locality with the same service are paid the same.

However the jobs they do can be quite different!

The article said that the discrimination came almost entirely from women who seemed to regard male vets as somehow in charge even if they were not. Is this a hangover from Victorian values I wonder?

Unfortunately not all jobs are civil service, not all jobs have equal pay for men and women on the same grade. [emoji6]

I think it's sad that things haven't changed all that much really. The stores manager in my work is off sick just now, his manager (female) decided that she should get a temp in to help with the workload. The agency gave her a choice of 2; one male, one female. She picked the man because "they have to lift boxes and stuff"... well I'm pretty sure that most healthy women can lift boxes. I can quite easily move the boxes about in stores and I'm a petite female with a shoulder injury, there is no reason a woman couldn't do as good a job as a man in this situation.

There are so many forms of sexism and gender inequality in the workplace. Rather frustrating when you are in the group that tends to suffer.

Our favourite vet from a big practice is female, not relevant in our choice just like her attitude which works for our horses, she is however not popular on all yards as she bluntly says what she thinks. We are often sent the youngsters in the practice as they know we will look after em and have had a young female vet who was sent out to pts an elderly horse and sobbed. Fortunately we are experienced enough to cope and fed her tea and cake before letting her drive back . Sadly if she had to cope in a different situation people may not have been so understanding. One year on she is a cracking vet

Most of our vets are male with about 4 female vets. I would only request a vet if they have been with us from the start. Eg the vet came out because he was lame and after a period of box rest I would expect the same vet to come back. As long as my horse is treated quick and with respect I do not care. I go to my vets for help and advice not to be sexist.

Black,white pink,green, male,female whatever !!! If you can get the job done whatever it is ,and it's not gonna cost me any more, I'll use you. I would only request specifically if you are part way through. [emoji108] [emoji274]

Well after today in this shop I'm inclined to want a woman! 2 pallets dumped outside the shop,piled high,ruddy great big boxes,delivery man sits in his lorry eating chips,guy who also works here comes past twice but doesn't even acknowledge me,both jus watch me argue with these boxes into the shop,both knowing I'm on my own. 2 ladies come by and offer to help! I say no as health and safety would have a fit but said just how grateful I was! Do today I'll take woman and I dont really care how sexist that sounds! I know it's not vet related but on the whole I find woman more pro active in general. I do however have a male farrier and vet both of whom I trust and I also have a female vet who again I trust,they all know their job.

newrider.com