Seperation Anxiety/Jealousy

passenger

May 16, 2009
We moved to a private yard with our mare a few months ago to join a gelding who had moved in on his own. Day one, hour one, our mare jumped a fence to join the gelding and they've been inseperable since.

When I say inseperable, its actually a problem. When Ruby is out of sight of charlie at a show, he throws a fit. Last weekend at a show, he tried to climb out over the backbar of the trailer. We threw up the back ramps so he had nowhere to go but theres surely a better solution, one that leaves us with a happy horse. Is this something he'll get used to or is there anything we can do to calm him. He was still very distressed, kicking the box etc so in the end we put Ruby back and pulling Charlie out of his comps to bring them home.

Now Ruby has a similar problem but its also when she's at home. If charlie is being worked and she's inside, be it through anxiety or jealousy(she seems to throw a tantrum where as charlie seem distressed) she starts to rear agains the walls, take little runs at the door and, one evening, I even went into the stables to find her with both front legs stuck over the door. In the box if Charlie is taken out she kicks and kicks and stamps and kicks some more.

Now Ruby also has some dominant chestnut mare issues which we're currently monty roberts-ing to try bring back the the happy little mare we had six months ago. Will a calm mare translate to a calm mare in the box and the trailer??

Any and all thought welcome(but I'm new so be gentle)

I think it sounds like a settling thing. They seem to have formed a strong bond and as she's not settled yet she will "cling" to the gelding as something she knows.
All I would suggest is getting another pony as a companion so that 1 is never left on their own. Or if you have to leave her alone, do it for very short periods and slowly build up.

Welcome to NR BTW!!

I think it sounds like a settling thing. They seem to have formed a strong bond and as she's not settled yet she will "cling" to the gelding as something she knows.
All I would suggest is getting another pony as a companion so that 1 is never left on their own. Or if you have to leave her alone, do it for very short periods and slowly build up.

Welcome to NR BTW!!

she's there about three months now?

There is another pony there since about a fortnight ago but in her stall it makes no difference. She gets really really agressive and bargey, thus my thought that it might be jealousy.... Hopefully tho it'll subside as you say....

ETA Thanks, seems like a great site :)

she's there about three months now?

There is another pony there since about a fortnight ago but in her stall it makes no difference. She gets really really agressive and bargey, thus my thought that it might be jealousy.... Hopefully tho it'll subside as you say....

ETA Thanks, seems like a great site :)

Trouble is they are all so different! My girly took around 8 - 10 months when I moved her years and years ago. We moved about 350 meters down the road:rolleyes: but she went from a herd of about 15 to just my other mare as company and she really struggled to adjust!
She was very clingy with my mare and riding her was just horrible! Having said that we moved about 2 years ago to a yard with a lot of horses on and she settled very quick (within 2 weeks) so I guess she likes it busy!

Trouble is they are all so different! My girly took around 8 - 10 months when I moved her years and years ago. We moved about 350 meters down the road:rolleyes: but she went from a herd of about 15 to just my other mare as company and she really struggled to adjust!
She was very clingy with my mare and riding her was just horrible! Having said that we moved about 2 years ago to a yard with a lot of horses on and she settled very quick (within 2 weeks) so I guess she likes it busy!

but...but...but 350 meters is far :p

actually another little snippet, she'll head off in the box on her own not a bother at all. For her, being left behind is a problem, not going on her own, whereas both are a problem for charlie

I went to my first comp saturday on Charlie. Ruby has to lead us into the arena for the clear round and then after the actual competition round she had to lead us in to collect the rosette....

I have 2, my gelding is very clingy and very jealous of my mare, when ever I take her away (even though there are horses in paddocks on 3 sides of him) he creates, running up and down the fence and screaming his head off. He is happy to be taken out or ridden on his own though :rolleyes:
My mare is happy to be left and ridden out or taken out alone, however if she can still hear him screaming the this does tend to upset her after a while, I think more because she doesn't understand what he is so upset about.
Gradually over the summer when I am doing lots with Jess; Bo will get better about being left, at easter I took her out to the beach for the day and when I got back he was dripping with sweat head to toe, apparently he hadn't stopped all day long. By the end of the summer he will only run for a couple of minute as I leave. Then over winter it all reverts again back to the crazy manic behaviour :rolleyes: even when I had 3 horses it didn't matter which one I took out he would still freak about it, even though one was left there with him, not sure we will ever break this behaviour, luckily he has never caused himself any injury he is just noisey and runs about lots.

Thanks Jessey :)

Hopefully ours will just get used to it too.... The geldings are ok but we're afraid the mare will do herself damage

Yeah sounds like she really gets in a pickle, like emmathechief said, try seperating them for short periods at first (hopefully then her behaviour won't escalate to the stage of being a danger to herself) and gradually do it for a bit longer each time.
TBH thinking back (Bo is now 11 and I've had him since he was 2) he used to be alot worse, he went through an electric fence once and got a leg tangled in it for which he still carries the scar, I guess his crazy bit has calmed down a bit over the years, I think consistantsy is the key, just keep doing it till they get used to it.

newrider.com