separation anxiety, (or PITA!)

Any tips for horses that are total PITA's when taken to shows/events together, but expected to work separately/one at a time?

Taken individually, they are fine, but take them both together?!!! They were like that annoying crying baby on the train that you just want to slap:devil:

One is a 16.2 mare, the other is a 14.2 gelding. They live together as part of a herd of four. They are not particularly attached to each other within the herd. At home, each can be taken out and worked separately without any hassle.

At the show, they CONSTANTLY whinnied and called to each other, neither concentrated on their job, if I tried to put one away in the trailer it made things worse.

If I take them somewhere where they work together, they aren't too bad, eg pair huntertrials or hunting, though they stress if another horse gets inbetween them.

growling/shaking the reins when they whinny made no difference. Trying to make them listen to the rider by doing serpentines/changes of pace etc was a success - for about 3 minutes.

I really don't want to resort to only taking one at a time, and they have been like this for ages, so what can I do???:help:

They may not seem to be very reliant on each other within the herd, but they are still part of it. Each of them will find some security in the presence of each of the others.

Taking two of them away from the herd will only serve to make them more aware of the abscence of the two left behind, and so they will be insecure and will each crave the company of the other.

It's not easy to know what to do there.

Oh, and you were a crying baby once, so have a heart.

Oh, and you were a crying baby once, so have a heart.

yeh, I know, but I was soooo fed up with the horses yesterday, and I am sure everybody else at the show was too. Nobody got any peace, and I felt so embarrassed and useless - I just couldn't shut them up - just like those harrassed mothers on trains - I felt sure everybody was fed up with my horses too:frown:

newrider.com