Separation anxiety/bonding

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
OK, so it is only day 5 of him being here, but my fella is struggling with separation anxiety/bonding, and I must admit I'm wondering what the best approach is.

Theory A/ For him to cope with leaving the herd he has to see me as the herd leader, but surely that won't happen so easily if he is allowed to graze with others, then I take him away from others, causing him anxiety (which admittedly does pass). So should I limit his time with other horses initially, whilst our bond is forging?

Theory B/ He needs to be part of the herd as that's more natural, and therefore we just have to have to endure the distress until such a time as he understands the process.

And finally, someone more experienced than I said to just let him out with one pony, rather than the three of them, but surely there's more of a chance he'll bond with that one pony than if he has to part of a foursome?

It seems as though no way is 100% appropriate. Once he's away from the others he's very chilled indeed - for a five year old - and in fact remarkably happy being stabled.

Thanks guys.

the one pony idea worked best for me when i got my horse he suffered from seperation anxiety and i put him in with a couple horses and he didn't want anything to do with them but as soon as i got him one on one with another horse he made a complete turn around in every way even under saddle

How did he feel about leaving that one big pal though? Was he ok about it or was he even clingier to the pony? Thanks for your reply.

newrider.com