Separate mobile phone for riding?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
On a beautiful day like today, I rode without a coat and discovered that my new phone is too big to fit in my 'mobile phone armband' so I shoved it down my boots!
I have an old small very basic phone which I was thinking of putting a PAYG sim in, just to use whilst riding. I would enter all my Horsey contact in it, vets, friends with transport etc.
Does anyone else do this? Or can anyone recommend a way of carrying a larger phone?

I noticed inside some of my riding gilets and coats that the mobile pocket is no longer any good. I have a stupidly large nokia lumia which fits just about nowhere! I would def get a basic pay as you go. I have what I call the "bat phone" for this purpose!

I shove mine down my bra! Although I always get the smallest phone I can find anyway, I don't like the trend for phones the size of note books.

Reactions: orbvalley
My hi viz has ample pockets. I have one phone.
The thing with payg is they used to cut your number off if you hadn't used it. The last thing would want is to need it and be cut off.
Horsey connects are in one phone and the old fashioned address book.

I shove mine down my bra! Although I always get the smallest phone I can find anyway, I don't like the trend for phones the size of note books.

I don't like big phones either. From the sublime to the ridiculous, one moment we were expected to have fingers the size of pencil ends to work the keys on the tiny flip phones circa 2000 and then came the iphones which I loved and then now the stupidly large nokia. I am tied in due to our business and being on contract, they more or less forced us to "upgrade". I would have been happy using my iphone 3 forever (and it has some very precious footage of Joe before he died on it:()

My hi viz has ample pockets. I have one phone.
The thing with payg is they used to cut your number off if you hadn't used it. The last thing would want is to need it and be cut off.
Horsey connects are in one phone and the old fashioned address book.

Yes I have to make sure my mum uses her emergency pay as you go once in a while.

I have a Samsung S6 Edge Plus which is ridiculously large and I have just dug out my old S4 which is much smaller for the very same reason! Now that I am riding more and taking lots of ear shot pics, I find the S6 cumbersome to handle with one hand and I'm terrified of dropping and smashing it!! In every other area of my life it is great for my eyesight because of the big screen!!! The S4 still has all my contacts on it....all it needs is a PAYG SIM card.

That's a great idea Skib, thank you!
I have the smallest phone I could find which wasn't an iPhone ( I don't like them) but the phone pockets in all my tab bards are tiny!

i have an iphone 6+ which is huge and Ive been thinking of doing the same thing. Its not just the size of pockets - its the safety aspect if you come off and have something so big in your pocket, I know of someone who ended up with broken ribs through landing on their phone.

I use a bum bag in the summer months when i don't wear a coat. It holds my keys and phone. I brought a new bum bag last year a my old one wore out, i used it so much. My new ones a little bigger and i find it too bulky. When i trot it bangs on my hip too much. So I'm on the look out for something big enough for my phone but not as bulky.

To answer the phone question. I know someone who has one for personal use and one for business use. They find it a nightmare juggling two phones.

When I am not wearing a jacket, I wear a belt - the sort of purse belt tourists carry money in. Tho I wear it outside my clothes. I used to hack with a young woman who carried her phone and keys like that, and I copied her.
This type of thing.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/life...CuOKceR8van01Akc9Hcu-iSfUo3lNdGSBoC10Lw_wcB&g

I have one of these also, mine is described as a runners belt but looks similar to the above. Very handy and fits comfortably below my body protector.

I have runners belts, they are ideal as they don't bounce too much. The best thing I've brought in years is a Cashel ankle safe, I have the large one and its perfect for stashing phone, keys, and a few other small bits and I don't notice it when riding or do yard chores :) I also have a 2nd phone I take on long rides, my old nokia which is tiny and I have a PAYG sim in it from a different provider so if my main one dies or doesn't have signal I have that as backup, a few times I've taken just that one, its so much smaller and easier, it drives me crazy that every new wave of phones is bigger than the last.

I have put mine down my johds before - haha - but wouldn't recommend it. I spent the whole time thinking 'where's it slipping to now?!' I have a ridiculously sized iPhone 6 Plus which is essentially like trying to carry a tablet around. I bought a cheap phone to go riding with but the problem is I can't resist a nice picture! So ended up not using it. Mind, I'll be gutted if I smash my iPhone so maybe I need to stop being silly and use my riding phone.

Silly question.
What is the inside pocket in jodphurs actually for. Gone are the days of popping in coins for a payphone.

newrider.com