Sending horse away to RA?

nqt2003

May 30, 2006
Durham, North East
I've been having some issues with Mikey (see other thread http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111493)

I did have Sarah Dent out to work with us and what she did helped, particularly the groundwork and moving out of my space. I was just wondering if it would be worth sending Mikey down to her for a week or so?

Has anyone done this before? Was it worth it?

These are just initial ponderings at the moment - haven't decided what I am going to do - and it all depends when i sell my house as to whether i have the money to do this! :)

I haven't done it myself but knowing Sarah and having used her in the past I would have absolutely no reservations whatsoever.

It depends what you're wanting out of it, though. Have a chat to her and see what she says, it might be more worthwhile getting her down to work with you both.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I thought about just getting her out, but for what it costs for a couple of hours and travelling costs, its only about another £100 for a week and I think both of us would benefit more from that.

I will email Sarah and have a chat and see what she says - was a bit unsure about the NH at first but after working with Sarah and seeing the results - I'm convinced and have continued working on things with Mikey.

I think it would be worth your while giving it a try, having the horse at her place will mean she has the opportunity to work a lot more intensively with him, and she has very good facilities. I would make sure you're able to spend some time there too so you can get a good handle on anything you need to be doing yourself to maintain progress :)

I agree, I don't like some forms of NH but Sarah is excellent and is very flexible. She works with the horse in front of her not just from the script, which I think is really important when you're dealing with horses.

All the best (and please say 'hi' to Sarah from Lynne & Saffy) :)

Thanks guys!

I was feeling really negative and down last night on the other thread but feel a bit better this morning. :rolleyes:
I really don't want to give up on Mikey as we have come so far and he has improved - I have to keep telling myself we all have bad days!

make sure you learn what to do too, he sounds like a sweetie, you both just seem to need a bit of help getting back on the right track

lots of luck xxxx

I think it would be definately worthwhile sending him away, i'm sending amba away to her, when i get the money. I've had amba nearly five years and we are still having problems (big ones) both on the ground and ridden.

Just read the thread above, by using Sarah it could be a breakthrough for you, i know before july last year i wanted to sell amba because things weren't working out, i couldn't do a thing with her. July 06 i sold her one hour later, i unsold her and decided to keep her, because i really wanted to work hard at our relationship, and it's slowly working.

Good luck xx

:)

Unfortunately, a horse isn't like a car, or a computer, that you can send away to "get it fixed" and it will come back doing whatever you want. We have a relationship with our horses - and it's exactly that - a relationship. The way they behave towards us is entirely dependent on the way we behave towards them.

Sarah Dent can undoubtedly help you set and define new rules, and show you how to implement and maintain them in a way that is meaningful for the horse - but at the end of the day, it's YOU who has to do it. It won't help if Mikey is turning cartwheels for Sarah Dent, but still sticking his tongue out at you! :D Your horse will only really change towards you, when you change towards it - no one else can do it for you.

I'd say, see if you can afford the time/money for you both to spend a week with Sarah and let her train you both together. If that's not possible, get her to come to you as often as you can. From your other thread, I think the issues you are having are all about trust and leadership. You've been losing confidence in each other - and while Sarah can certainly show you the way, the real changes will have to come from you.

That may sound a bit harsh - it's not meant to be. If you take the time to learn to understand Mikey and regain his confidence yourself, you'll be on a long term road to a better relationship - and that's a long, fascinating, and very rewarding road! :)

Unfortunately, a horse isn't like a car, or a computer, that you can send away to "get it fixed" and it will come back doing whatever you want.

I didn't mean it like that - if it was as simple as that I would have sent Mikey away for repairs ages ago!! :D

Not harsh - I completely understand what you are on about.

Unfortunately, a horse isn't like a car, or a computer, that you can send away to "get it fixed" and it will come back doing whatever you want. We have a relationship with our horses - and it's exactly that - a relationship. The way they behave towards us is entirely dependent on the way we behave towards them.

Sarah Dent can undoubtedly help you set and define new rules, and show you how to implement and maintain them in a way that is meaningful for the horse - but at the end of the day, it's YOU who has to do it. It won't help if Mikey is turning cartwheels for Sarah Dent, but still sticking his tongue out at you! :D Your horse will only really change towards you, when you change towards it - no one else can do it for you.

I'd say, see if you can afford the time/money for you both to spend a week with Sarah and let her train you both together. If that's not possible, get her to come to you as often as you can. From your other thread, I think the issues you are having are all about trust and leadership. You've been losing confidence in each other - and while Sarah can certainly show you the way, the real changes will have to come from you.

That may sound a bit harsh - it's not meant to be. If you take the time to learn to understand Mikey and regain his confidence yourself, you'll be on a long term road to a better relationship - and that's a long, fascinating, and very rewarding road! :)

Thats one of the best peices of advice i've seen given on this board, if you find a trainer with a view like that you won't go far wrong IMO

Sarah Dent can undoubtedly help you set and define new rules, and show you how to implement and maintain them in a way that is meaningful for the horse - but at the end of the day, it's YOU who has to do it.

I agree, and that's why I posted much to the same effect about spending as much time there as possible if you send him. Every RA will tell you that the people need as much if not more work than the horses to fix the problem, so I would suggest you're in good hands there (I know you are anyway ;) ).

newrider.com