Self employed or business

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
I am bamboozled.
I've always been an employee.
I can't get work and can't claim benefits as I haven't worked enough in the last 2 years to contribute enough.
I can get some casual work which I would like to do officially and pay my NI toward my pension etc. I also breed the odd litter of pups and sell a trained gundog now and again. Or give dogs away which I must stop doing!
Now, how do I go about this? Do I just register as self employed?
Do I open a business bank account?
I know my turnover would not be huge as I have a lot of costs.
Heeeeeeelp in the stylee of Penelope Pitstop :help:

Just register as self employed and keep note of your out goings and money coming in. I just write it down and keep reciepts where i can. Then in january i fill the online form in. I dont have to pay anything as i earn under the threshold so its ok but if i earnt more i would work out the % of tax i woukd need to pay and put that away in a seperate bankacccount each month so i could pay at the end of the year.

Just register as self employed and keep note of your out goings and money coming in. I just write it down and keep reciepts where i can. Then in january i fill the online form in. I dont have to pay anything as i earn under the threshold so its ok but if i earnt more i would work out the % of tax i woukd need to pay and put that away in a seperate bankacccount each month so i could pay at the end of the year.

That sounds simples

You don't actually need to register as self employed until you have started trading.

You do need to be careful about casual work however as the IR are very hot on people claiming to be self employed when they actually should be on the payroll ( more generous allowances can be claimed by the self employed and employers often class work as casual to avoid meeting other employers legislation)

You need to prove that you work for several people, that you provide the tools of your trade and you have some flexibility in how and when the work is done...provided you have several 'clients' they will look no further. As far as the breeding goes as long as this is say a litter a year it is treated as a hobby and not subject to tax.

Bear in mind that self employed contributions do not entitle you to many benefits!!

You don't actually need to register as self employed until you have started trading.

You do need to be careful about casual work however as the IR are very hot on people claiming to be self employed when they actually should be on the payroll ( more generous allowances can be claimed by the self employed and employers often class work as casual to avoid meeting other employers legislation)

You need to prove that you work for several people, that you provide the tools of your trade and you have some flexibility in how and when the work is done...provided you have several 'clients' they will look no further. As far as the breeding goes as long as this is say a litter a year it is treated as a hobby and not subject to tax.

Bear in mind that self employed contributions do not entitle you to many benefits!!

Its not benefits I am after, I just want to keep up the payments for my twilight years more than anything. Worked since 16 full time with no breaks but gave up career to follow hubby here and have barely had work since.

My casual work is through shooting season and I attend 3-4 shoots, I cater for one and also work my dogs on it. This is only for 3 months of the year really.

Litters, 1 most years but sometimes 2-3 but thats pretty rare depends on how their seasons fall and might not have any one year.

Have a look at this ...http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ca5603.pdf ..... Voluntary NICs may be the way to go for you

Cheers, will have a look at that.

Another reason for wanting to do something business wise is for getting access to cash and carry etc.
Place I go just now has tightened up and is trying to make it solely traders and you need proof that you are a trader to keep the member ship so I wont be able to get trade price food for the dogs anymore through them and the only other option is to buy by the tonne but on one wage in the house its easier for us to stock up monthly not every 4 months.

If you want my advice and dont quote me because i will deny it and say someone hacked into my new rider account. Stay under the radar its better that the government and tax man doesnt know you exist keep your money under the mattress or buy gold things and keep it in a security box always deal in cash never accept checks and above all watch who you deal with. Did i just say these things, it must have been someone else, thats almost criminal, dearie me, what a thing to say, whats the country coming to. In case there are any tax people on this forum haha i was only kidding.

If you want my advice and dont quote me because i will deny it and say someone hacked into my new rider account. Stay under the radar its better that the government and tax man doesnt know you exist keep your money under the mattress or buy gold things and keep it in a security box always deal in cash never accept checks and above all watch who you deal with. Did i just say these things, it must have been someone else, thats almost criminal, dearie me, what a thing to say, whats the country coming to. In case there are any tax people on this forum haha i was only kidding.

Lol, in a nutshell me thinks!!!

Dash these internet hackers.:wink:

newrider.com