Self drive horsebox hire

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
How much do they usually work out to be ? Have you ever used one ? Would you do it again or just rely on a driver for the transport ?

Around here £70-£100 a day. Although the £70 a day company my friend used, got to pick up the horse and realised that the top flap on the ramp didn't do up properly (thankfully they were only travelling one horse) so it was on the opposite side and they had equipment with them to secure it until they returned home.

Trying that avenue ;) But just seeing if there are any other recommendations for our area.

So looking forward to my beach trip !!!!!

I'm normally £125 to £150 for an overnight hire (e.g. pick up friday night, return saturday night). That is for a 3.5ton and we always drive it ourselves.

Might have to recheck my license then as I am post Jan 1997 but can drive with a trailer even though I've never done the trailer test :unsure: Don't think I can drive a 3.5T ... hubby can though .....

At least the prices are about what I was expecting !

Everyone can drive a 3.5 - it's the same category as a car ;)

If you are post 1997 then you cannot tow without having passed the extra test. If you can tow without the extra test that means you were pre 1997 & can also drive 7.5 :)

My local company charge between £100-£125 for a gorgeous box! That's for a 24hr hire so I tend to collect late the evening before.

They can be driven by any age group 17 upwards ( 17-25 may have a small excess I think )

I don't need to pay Deposit up front but I do sign a document for insurance excess if I were to prang it I cover the first £400 of damage is payable by myself.

It comes with a full tank of fuel And I return like that

We hired a box from elite horse box hire a few weeks ago. Cost £90/day and was super. Great box; OH found it easy to drive. I would def recommend doing it to people :)

newrider.com