Second lost shoe in a week!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Recently decided to get my horse shod front due to increased roadwork making him footy. since having shoes on his hoof quality has rapily declined and only 4 weeks later I'm having both shoes off (after both of them came off this week) to try and improve his hoof quality enough for them to stay on or try alternatives (boots). I started him on biotin a week ago and bought Kevin bacon which I apply once a day. Anything else I can use to strengthen his feet and help promote growth? Any tips for helping feet recover after having shoes on. Obviously I'm not going to do any roadwork for a while, but presumably riding in the school is okay?

In what way have they declined during the time the horse was shod? Agree that shoeing and nailing on their own won't cause a rapid decline in hoof health in such a short time.

As far as work on a surface goes, if the horse is comfortable then carry on. It isn't conditioning that's usually the biggest problem though, diet and metabolism are usually the main issue with crap feet.

You're right his feet were not amazing beforehand, but were of a good enough quality the farrier thought showing was a good option. Now they are just crumbling away

*shoeing. Where the nails have gone in the sides have cracked up towards these.

As far as work on a surface goes, if the horse is comfortable then carry on. It isn't conditioning that's usually the biggest problem though, diet and metabolism are usually the main issue with crap feet.

So anything else I can feed to promote healthy hooves?

newrider.com